Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,508   Posts: 1,543,560   Online: 1056

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My moment was in the vaults of the National Gallery of Australia surrounded by Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, and Edward Steichen; or at least their precious original photographs. And I could look as close as I wanted for as long as I wanted.

I had been making photographs for about 20 years and had done quite a bit of large format work. What I had to know was how good were they quality-wise. Well, you know what, those famous figures put up with the same dust, subject movement, camera shake, lens flare, bad print spotting, surface imperfections, that I was battling against on a daily basis. Technically I was as consistently good or better than any of them. I could go ahead with confidence, nay, arrogance.

Only a few days out from the Gallery I realised that for serious work in photography total technical competence is assumed, it's the basic stuff. And it's only one tenth of the journey. The real challenges are imagination, creativity, vision, and energy. I'm still working on those and win occasionally, humbly fall short on most occasions.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    My moment was in the vaults of the National Gallery of Australia surrounded by Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, and Edward Steichen; or at least their precious original photographs. And I could look as close as I wanted for as long as I wanted.

I had been making photographs for about 20 years and had done quite a bit of large format work. What I had to know was how good were they quality-wise. Well, you know what, those famous figures put up with the same dust, subject movement, camera shake, lens flare, bad print spotting, surface imperfections, that I was battling against on a daily basis. Technically I was as consistently good or better than any of them. I could go ahead with confidence, nay, arrogance.

Only a few days out from the Gallery I realised that for serious work in photography total technical competence is assumed, it's the basic stuff. And it's only one tenth of the journey. The real challenges are imagination, creativity, vision, and energy. I'm still working on those and win occasionally, humbly fall short on most occasions.
    How true. Very well put, Maris.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin