Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,707   Posts: 1,669,771   Online: 800

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    everything is still a shadow ( as plato would say ) on the cave wall.

some prints are terrible, even though they are a fine photographic silver gelatin, or cyanotype, or wet plate or ...
    some reproductions, either electronic ( scan ) or physical ( print media, magazine, book &c ) are terrible too ..

they both give an idea of what something is/was like ...

i have a whole book of karsh portraits that were made to be removed from the book.
    the printing was nice enough that karsh expected people to put the pages behind glass.
    even the karsh originals aren't really churchill or keller .. they are
    abstracted, manipulated reproductions of what was there infront of him ...

in the end it really doesn't matter much ?

nope ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    To sit with the actual prints, with nothing but air separating myself from them, as close as I wanted. That was six years ago, and I'm still in awe. While I was 'reeled in' by copies of his work, I was completely arrested by the actual originals, their presence, their 'weight' both to my eyes and my carefully washed hands, and their subtle beauty.
    Me and my eyes only, met what Kertesz and his eyes created. Does it get any more pure than that?
    I imagine the only thing better would be to sit in the library at the artist's home talking about each print, and perhaps showing some of yours off at the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    For example, I own a few original Fan Ho prints and also a limited edition book, beautifully printed, "Hong Kong Yesterday".
    I own that book too, brilliant as is Geir Jordahl's "Searching for True North" by the same publisher, Modern Book. I would love for them to print my Kodachrome book...

But seeing Avedon's work at ICP in huge form and Bresson's work at the MOMA was something utterly mesmerizing....Kind of like sitting on that nice plush bench in front of Rembrandt's "Aristotle" and getting totally lost in it, the emotion of the depth of it all..

Now....there is one book in my collection that evokes nearly the same kind of feeling, that would be Bresson's "The Decisive Moment"....the way it is printed is just out of this world, I have never seen anything like it, it looks like he held it under his enlarger and just printed away.

I take great pride in giving or selling people something that is literally hand made. And I take even greater pride in filling that print with an image the likes of which they have never seen before....

I believe a finely printed boring image of the same thing that has been seen over and over again is not such a fine print after all...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Now....there is one book in my collection that evokes nearly the same kind of feeling, that would be Bresson's "The Decisive Moment"....the way it is printed is just out of this world, I have never seen anything like it, it looks like he held it under his enlarger and just printed away.

I believe a finely printed boring image of the same thing that has been seen over and over again is not such a fine print after all...
    I take it that what you refer to is not printed by HCB?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    'Fine art' photography and the 'fine print' are two terms I've grown very tired of, relatively quickly. I like to think that's because my appreciation of photogaphy lies with the image - that thing that stays in our mind once our eyes have been averted - which many, many, many people here constantly skirt around in pursuit of nuance, which because of a tradition delusion, is linked to image value, but actually quickly forgotten by the viewer. What's left is a completely *unmemorable photograph with a memorable price tag.
    Amen to that! I can not believe just how many "Fine Art" sections of photographer's websites I have seen that are some of the most boring, vision lacking images ever, many in the traditional / analog sense sadly enough. I don't care if it is printed on parchment paper from the renaissance with gold plating, if it is at first glance, a bad photo, it is not in any way shape of form said "Fine Art"...or at least not good Fine Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    No, but I do believe I read somewhere it was...Heliogravure...?...I can't remember. It is wonderful to peruse...I think I will get it out and look at it...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, but I do believe I read somewhere it was...Heliogravure...?...I can't remember. It is wonderful to peruse...I think I will get it out and look at it...
    Gravure is an interesting print process because it is continuous tone.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The photographer who does not do their own printing creates value by seeing and capturing the image, which is then communicated to and remembered by the viewer. That image isn't worth a lot per view (viewers pay only what it costs to pay attention). But that small amount multiplied by a large audience is priceless.

Prints created by the artist carry (at least some) value in their physical existence. Electronic delivery does not transmit this full value to the viewer. These prints are worth seeing in person.

One good way to get a feel for the print value is to join a print exchange. When you get your set, I believe you will agree that you hold between a hundred and a thousand dollars worth of prints in your hands.

A printed book reproduction of a similar collection might only feel like it is worth thirty dollars. An online gallery view of the set might only catch your attention for an hour.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I own that book too, brilliant as is Geir Jordahl's "Searching for True North" by the same publisher, Modern Book. I would love for them to print my Kodachrome book...
    I have that book...one of the best I have ever seen. The images are reproductions, of course, and do not have the impact that Geir's actual prints (I have seen many and own a couple). But the book is a work of art in of itself (even though he did not print each copy himself...LOL!) The thought and work that he and his editor (Kate Jordahl) put into the book -- the layout, font, poems, et al -- are wonderful, and the book as a whole becomes something that is greater than the sum of the parts.

It is not just a catalog of his vertical infra-red "panoramic" photographs, but a true book in the manner that an author would write a masterpiece. The images are the characters and the arrangement of the images is the story line. In comparison, AA's The Range of Light is merely a collection of his images.

Vaughn

Kate produces series of hand-made books with hand-printed (silver gelatin) images tipped onto the pages. The best of both worlds!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    As a rule, HCB didn't do any printing himself, it was all hired out to somebody else.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin