Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,809   Online: 912

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's important to you, you'll find the time. It may help if you break down your photo endeavors into blocks of time. While I stay out of the darkroom unless I have a 3-4 hour window, I've found many things I can accomplish with smaller blocks of time:
    If I have 10 minutes, I'll do some print spotting.
    If I have 20 minutes, I can shoot some still life stuff. (when time is rare, I leave the camera setup, and ready to go, in a corner.)
    If I have 30 minutes, I'll do some hand-coloring, or matting/mounting.
    If I have an hour, I can shoot a roll at a favorite spot of mine, which is a 5 minute drive from my house.

It's all about balance, and utilizing the limited time you have. Sometimes I have less than 10 minutes, and I'll find myself looking into APUG's Gallery, finding inspiration and motivation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2
    I'm inundated. Between work, family and ever-increasing admininistrative BS, how do you cope, find the time, find the mind, and realize your goals in film photography.
    I realized my previous post may have been hasty. I have been in your shoes with the job eating ever more chunks of my time. I was on the systems side of things then and have since reverted back to the applications side of IT (it took a change of employers to make this happen). I find I'm much happier doing applications type stuff than systems type stuff. There's a little bit of system administration in my current job but it is minimal as the system generally runs itself day-to-day, which frees us IT types up to do the constant system enhancements that need done.

I also try to only work the hours I was hired to work. When something extra comes up, I ask "What would you like pushed down on the priority list so I can get this done?" When they say they want it all, then I decide for them which items get pushed down on the list. Occasionally working a big chunk of overtime is one thing, but it is not okay in my book to constantly ask your employees to work overtime without compensating them for it in some fashion. (I don't get paid for overtime, can you tell?)

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK
    Like any good North American, I compartmentalize my life: from Monday to Friday, I work
    This is a big help. Although occasionally I get a really great idea for how to solve something at work during my free time, and then I'm scurrying around to get it recorded in some fashion to try the next day at work. As for the family time, well, my philosophy is be glad you have them, and spend time with them while they're here. You're gonna miss them when they're no longer here (and I don't mean dead necessarily, family does sometimes move away). Think of the memories you can record on film and work that sort of thing into your photography. I shot a whole roll of slide film on nothing but my son's birthday party.

My problem right now is that everything is gray and brown outside. The most colorful thing out there right now is the blue tarp that we set the swimming pool up on in the summer for the kids. Not a lot of color, so I'm thinking my next roll of film will be the B&W I have sitting in the fridge.

ME Super, aka The Slide Curmudgeon
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The worst part of all this is how the people who are working non-compartmentalized jobs are almost locked up into it. It's a two way street and on one hand you benefit by higher pay, but on the other you get screwed by time and commitments.

To truly be free of this time crunch you've either got to be rich or somehow find the perfect job that allows you to combine both without risk of the job killing what you originally enjoyed.

By far, eliminate all sources of passive entertainment like television, etc. I do still listen to certain shows on the radio because I actually learn something from them. TV, no.

Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Occasionally working a big chunk of overtime is one thing, but it is not okay in my book to constantly ask your employees to work overtime without compensating them for it in some fashion. (I don't get paid for overtime, can you tell?)
    And that's how the screws are tightened...

It's funny, you don't generally see middle/upper management working during this time either..
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Set priorities. Must do, like to do, do if have the time, optional, etc.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do something called Analog Sundays. No cell phone, no screens. The only time I do any digital is if I'm being paid. I might post here once in a while but otherwise, no digital.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 5.6 Symmar in a Synchro Compur
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I don't get paid for overtime, can you tell?
    Neither do I. That's why I don't do it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    I do something called Analog Sundays. No cell phone, no screens. The only time I do any digital is if I'm being paid. I might post here once in a while but otherwise, no digital.
    I like that. +1

Shooter
    35mm
    j-dogg: +2. Good call.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow, lot's here. Thanks for the many good ideas and for the interesting social commentary. I agree that i'm very fortunate to have a wonderful family and paying work in such a difficult period. I understand a bit about persistent unemployment, having been layed off for 9 months in '09. Perhaps the "quit your whining" bit is deserved. I watch tv about 2 hours total a week (late night with the missus), so there's a bit of room for sacrifice there. I carry a camera almost always. It's more developing and printing that stalls, rather than taking. Stealing away to the darkroom feels a bit selfish, maybe like stealing from time i should be with family. Maybe i have to just wake very early and find my own time.

Vaughn, your quote is excellent.

Thanks,
    Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stealing away to the darkroom feels a bit selfish, maybe like stealing from time i should be with family.
    If it keeps you sane, maybe you should do it. But talk it over with your wife first. I'm not currently working, but my son (age 2, just) goes to daycare two days a week so I can have my only "me" time - usually photography related. If it weren't for that, we'd be in pretty bad shape (hubby is deployed and little dude doesn't sleep through the night most nights - I have gotten about 9 good nights of sleep in the last 2 years). I don't know how I'd do any photography if I was working. My problem is that I have sooo many ideas of things I want to try and projects I want to do and only those two days to do them. Chasing Nate and keeping things running in general (did I mention we also have four dogs?) means I'm totally exhausted by the time I get him into bed. I do end up sitting in front of the TV because I can't find the energy to do anything else most of the time.
    I just keep telling myself that it won't be exactly like this forever.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin