Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,843   Posts: 1,582,647   Online: 1050

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Photkwerks - But couldn't someone who plays the organ say the same thing? Shoot film, have fun, don't sweat it, the doom and gloomers will be happy to hear your concerns, be an ostrich, who cares that we can't fly, we are huge, run fast and have other great attributes that other birds don't!
    Last edited by zsas; 03-07-2012 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add who comment was to
    Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photoworks68 View Post
    The thing is that now, one by one, manufacturer are stopping making film. First there was polaroid stopping making instant film, then kodak stopping making Kodachrome and now Ektachrome film, What next ? Color and Black and white film ? At least a musician can still chose to play with an analog instrument. Soon, a photographer will not have any choice but to use digital in order to pursue photography. That time may be coming sooner than later and I dread it.

i wouldn't worry about it ...
    there may be fewer companies making and selling film and traditional materials
    but there will always be someone making it and selling it.

i couldn't agree with andy more ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3QNSsWoeg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not as captivated by the materials availability thing as I am the big picture, what will photography even be considered in 20 years thing. I have at least 10 years worth of film and chemistry on hand right now as it is if I shoot at a normal pace, so all I need to spend money on now is paper, matting, etc.

But the the photograph in 20 years, what will it be if not us shooting and printing black and white? Will it be full color holograms shot by advertising photographers draped over products in windows? Will it be just too much virtual us?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    But the the photograph in 20 years, what will it be if not us shooting and printing black and white? Will it be full color holograms shot by advertising photographers draped over products in windows? Will it be just too much virtual us?
    I personally believe those too-far-down-the-road-theoretical-ponderings-of-the-evolution-of-photography-as-an-art-form, are too far and too gray for me to understand, especially on the commercial side, considering I do this as a hobby. I do hope you pro's can find a footing while one staying true to himself/herself. You have my admiration. I just keep shooting and smiling that I have the time/resources/health to continue regardless of the evolution of the art of photography due to technology, taste, price of tea. Look at how bad some tech companies missed the smartphone/tablet mobile computing bandwagon, that kind of miss happened to folks who are supposed to do this for a living (i.e. Blackberry). To pick the trend of an art form is even more nebulous.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why worry what's going to happen in 15 to 20 years if you have enough film for 10 years? I'll be thrilled if I'm just alive in 15 years. Is any of this really that important? Haven't you adjusted to changes in the past? Don't you think we'll adjust to new things? Isn't it exciting that new things will happen and that we'll have a chance to learn and explore them? Why not take a positive view rather than negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Relax Andy, I am a pretty positive person, although I don't shoot that much positive anymore, just negative...maybe I am a negative person, LOL!

In any case, I rarely start threads like this, it was born of conversations I have with people in general. All it is supposed to do is spawn thought. I like to use my mind a lot, so something as wacked out as is got me thinking, that's all....
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Because I think the very thing that is driving photography to record levels of hype will have simply urinated too long in the fresh water supply that drew people in and that thing is technology. People want a challenge in their pastime or vocation, if the perception now is anyone can do it and there are billions of images lost in a sea of it self, why would they bother and what does that hold for the future of photography it self?
    Ya know, that's been said since dry plates came into vogue, right? And then Eastman produced the Brownie and the rest of them. And the world went to hell in a handbasket. And now we have digital, and look where it's got us.

What would happen if a major magazine put drawings and paintings on their cover for a year? No photographs. Would people notice, in this day and age? The magazine's website would also have to totally ditch photographs for something like that to be noticed. But I wonder, what would people think? Would they clamor and scream about accuracy? Are we paranoid about honesty? Would each artist's rendition need to be backed up with a photograph? Or could we trust the artist?

Photography is here to stay, in one form or another. We've just had the introduction of a 41Mp phone. So we will be seeing in 15 years 100Mp+ phones. And for the most part they'll be photographing the same old garbage around us.

But there is also the fact of the physical photo-graph. Yeah, I put in the hyphen on purpose. A BIG sheet of film, and a good lens. What does the lens do with the subject? Our brush is the lens, our canvas is the film, and our paint is light. We are not simply creating an image, but a physical object. The print. That thing which is held in the hands or placed on the wall. Or maybe the film itself is the final form, i.e., 8x10 Kodachrome (we hardly knew ye! I sure didn't!).

We are dependent on materials which must be made in huge industrial quantity. You don't get a Kodachrome image without the Kodachrome film! And that is really the crux of the matter. Paints are made by grinding pigments. Film is made on special machines tended by highly trained people. Big difference.

So where will photography go? Really, it's already there. The snaps are still being made, but it's the quality that has changed. The permanance has changed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post

We are dependent on materials which must be made in huge industrial quantity. You don't get a Kodachrome image without the Kodachrome film! And that is really the crux of the matter. Paints are made by grinding pigments. Film is made on special machines tended by highly trained people. Big difference.
    oi. A statement like that is like baiting a big, sharp hook with chocolate cake. No matter how hard I try, I can't resist.

No. No. No.

I'll give you Kodachrome and most of the color processes, but it's important to not lump together all analog materials. We are no more or less 'dependent' on industry than any other aspect of modern life. A painter could theoretically grind a few earth pigments and paint with cat hair tied to a twig. But realistically? The tools and materials any painter uses come from an industrial operation, be it large or small. B&W photographic materials, in their most basic forms, are far less complex than most paints. George Eastman started Kodak in his mother's kitchen.

I make film. It is very good film. It gets better and better the more I make film. Someone with more between the ears could do even better. That will happen as soon as statements like "film is made on special machines tended by highly trained people" are finally laid to rest. In the meantime and well after, film, including color, is being made by highly trained people. If you're really looking for an excuse to shoot with your phone, go for it. Some very creative stuff is coming from phone cameras. Photographers have access to the best of all worlds -- now and going forward. Don't let Kodak's suicide confuse the issue.

My latest fun with diy film: http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...tent=07Mar2012

Denise

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    oi. A statement like that is like baiting a big, sharp hook with chocolate cake. No matter how hard I try, I can't resist.

My latest fun with diy film: http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...tent=07Mar2012

Denise
    Wow. Really nice. Keep it up!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post

No. No. No.

I'll give you Kodachrome and most of the color processes, but it's important to not lump together all analog materials. We are no more or less 'dependent' on industry than any other aspect of modern life. A painter could theoretically grind a few earth pigments and paint with cat hair tied to a twig. But realistically? The tools and materials any painter uses come from an industrial operation, be it large or small. B&W photographic materials, in their most basic forms, are far less complex than most paints. George Eastman started Kodak in his mother's kitchen.

I make film. It is very good film. It gets better and better the more I make film. Someone with more between the ears could do even better. That will happen as soon as statements like "film is made on special machines tended by highly trained people" are finally laid to rest. In the meantime and well after, film, including color, is being made by highly trained people. If you're really looking for an excuse to shoot with your phone, go for it. Some very creative stuff is coming from phone cameras. Photographers have access to the best of all worlds -- now and going forward. Don't let Kodak's suicide confuse the issue.

Denise
    Behind the satisfaction of being "off the grid" is the unadmitted knowing that there's a grid to go back to. This just might not be the case for all us APUG chickens, no?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin