Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,205   Online: 1059

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Sometimes you do carefully laid out shots and tweak and improve and other times you do grab shots of things you see while out and about.

Nothing right or wrong in any of it.

But when your are hired to do something, then you have to behave as a professional and be precise.
    Absolutely.

To me it's all about reacting when something I find interesting comes my way. Different pictures demand different approach. I just apply my heart and mind to attempt pouring onto paper what I loved about it.
    A building doesn't go anywhere, so I can be more deliberate. An interesting moment may never come back so I have to act quicker, which might be considered snapping.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Am I a "snapper"? I don't know.

But then, Superintendent Harry "Snapper" Organs might be
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I'm talkin about Red Snappers.
    They are the best, I had a fresh one pan fried on Tuesday night with chips and salad and few (too many) beers

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

But when your are hired to do something, then you have to behave as a professional and be precise.
    I agree, but sometimes it is frustrating - Like Robyn's armpit, she was modelling hand made belt buckles and to change between black and white tops for different belts - During one pass she said "Hey, look at these" while pulling her glorious armpit hair - However, the designer, silver smith and graphique designer were all there, so I did not said "Wait, I have to make a different set-up, you lot make fresh coffee while I photograph something worth while" (Now I definitely would!!!)

Soon after the job she changed boy friends to one who was not mature enough to celebrate natural women, so I spent the next three years trying to convince her to dump him so we could make that picture, then wait for the hair to re-grow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto881018A8.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	47561

I tried to use this portrait to promote my professional BW portrait work, unsuccessfully

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have been a "Snapper" (although this term is often used in a derogatory sense) a long time but some of the Worlds most significant photographs have been "snaps", and a photographers ability to anticipate upcoming situations and use his camera quickly on the hop to capture "the decisive moment " is like a good football players ability to "read the game" and make instant tactical decisions while running at full speed, or a good jazz musicians ability while improvising to make "head arrangements", although not everyone has the type of personality, reflexes or has the wish or to work this way and may prefer a more considered approach.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-09-2012 at 05:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I snap them up left and right, but I don't burn film on random pop shots. Like Benji said after awhile you get an eye for it, and you read the situation and see it unfold.

But I guess there's a downside, as I progress I end up talking myself out of lots of things a younger or less experienced version of me would have tried to get with a snap.

X. Phot.
    I would say that I'm not. I always apply the required amount of meticulousness to each exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I do snapshots, so in that respect I am a snapper. One of my favorite images (unfortunately captured electronically so I can't post it here) is a snap I took at Big Spring near Van Buren, Missouri. The trees are green on the hillside, you see the water boiling out of Big Spring, then at the bottom of the frame is an empty park bench. After getting back from vacation I thought it was not a very good picture but went ahead and posted it online. My sister said she liked the way it was framed and the park bench at the bottom of the frame was a nice touch.

A lot of pictures I took back in the 80's and 90's I originally thought were snapshots, but now that I go back and look at them, I've realized that some of them are more than just a quick snap.

So I would argue that whether something is a snapshot or if it is art is in the eye of the beholder.

ME Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes I'm a snapper.(usually with a 35mm) Other times I take my time.(usually with medium format)

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Snapping is not necessarily a bad thing. I think if you think too much and prepare too much when you shoot your photos can look contrived. I think snappers can capture unexpected moments. Does anybody considered HCB a snapper? I think snappers are more open to the Zen experience.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin