Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,875   Online: 872

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Are you a snapper?

While driving to work today, I was thinking that I am most probably a snapper. If I am doing a studio shot then I may take a considerable amount of time in preparation before shooting, but if walking about with a camera, I think I could be described a snapper. This is not a very professional term and perhaps a bit demeaning, but do others recognise this or otherwise in their approach to photography?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, much of the time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No.

BTW...How much a pound does a commie, I mean a red snapper go for these days?
    Last edited by Vaughn; 03-08-2012 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh... and I don't think I feel demeaned by that expression.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think of it as finding unexpected photo opportunities. Nothing wrong with that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a snapper, when i think its interesting enough.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Snapshooting is a valuable way to let new threads of seeing emerge

When using LF I am generally very careful and considerate, the medium draws one in that direction, well, film costs do anyway

I use a couple of snapshot cameras, a Vitessa and a Retina for pix of Rae, the garden, travel and all sorts of things - When I have been starting a new portfolio of "serious work" (hear celestial trumpets) I am stunned by the number of times this new work has been pre-figured in my casual images, or where I made an image tangential to the main body of work I was doing

These snap-glimpses are valuable - Where they are not, the pix are loved by Rae's family and friends around the world

Here is a pic of my snap-cameras, a Voigtlander Vitessa and a Kodak Retina - The wretched, overrated and unreliable Leica may be replaced by a FED2 in a couple of months

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto111018d938small.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	47553

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Snapshooting is a valuable way to let new threads of seeing emergeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto111018d938small.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	47553
    I agree! I take snapshots much of the time. I started out with 35mm and still shoot that format most of the time. "Wasting film" (to hear my parents tell the tale) is how I learned photography. 35mm became a sort of "photo notebook" for me. When I had an RB67, I would sometimes go back to a scene I shot with the 35mm and make a 6x7cm negative of a specific subject that I first found with the 35mm. Now that I have access to 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, that's even more my way of working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to do a lot of snapshots with 35mm, I'd say almost all of my pictures then were shoot now think later. But now that I do not regularly shoot 35mm ( just a om1+50mm and a few rolls of really old film), I try to lessen "snapshots". The costs will be too prohibitive for me if I continue doing them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I take photographs, I don't recognize that term, it's too deterministic for me. Art is art and I know it when I see it (thanks Potter Stewart), any term to describe the method just gets in the way.
    Andy

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin