Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,783   Online: 1033

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Jeff Brouws, the typologist? If you look at Hido's 'House Hunting' series you'll see that the images play on a longing for suburbia, the houses aren't empty vessels like with Brouws' studies. Hido concentrates on the mystery of what might be going on inside, not to mention the misty and evocative atmospheres the houses inhabit - and also his portraits which suggest the people who might live in these places. It's all about narrative. Brouws and Hido are coming from completely different places - one concerned with surface, the other concerned with the mystery that lies beneath. I suggest you take another look.

Not that Brouws is inferior, just very different.
    I've seen misty and evocative Brouws photographs. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this. It might be all about narrative for you, but that's FOR YOU. Like any honest (hopefully) viewer you're reading something personal into work that excites you visually. Someone else might see something in a totally different way, and not find any more mystery, narrative etc in Hido's work than Shore's work. And while you can discuss it, and argue your position, in the end your assessment is only yours.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I am tempted to broaden the thread by including photography festivals, like FotoFreo (FF) in Fremantle Western Australia

In FF the un-curated Fringe Festival often shows more exciting and innovative work than the Core Programme - However, in FF2010 two core shows grabbed my total attention, Eugene Richards "The Blue Room" and Claire Martin's "Slab City" - The latter was above a room full of 35mm style doco work which had too much pain for me to take in one lump, just too much - Both these bodies of work cited were documentary, but aren't all photographs documents by their very existence? - In order to exist as a photograph the event depicted had to exist at the moment of exposure (I am conveniently ignoring photo-manipulation)

The FFF fringe exhibition which energised both Rae and myself was of small quiet delicate prints by Tracy Mortimer and Helena Taelor, after the loudness of the rest of FF/FFF I found the work by these two women gave space within which my mind could explore the work and its sensitivity - We regret not being able to afford some of Tracey's palladium prints - The point I am getting to is that we came to work we adored through the very lack of noise and art-speak bullshit

FF will start this year on the Ides of March, less than one week away - This festival has degenerated to an absolute autocracy by its director - Given the paucity of the "Core Programme" for this year's festival I would encourage its director to consider the warning to Cesar - I digress

I feel a bit bad about not driving north to Fremantle this year, but I have images to make and the long hot summer looks like it is about to change which means going out and making my own images - An instant contradiction is that if I can afford it I may still go, out of guilt for missing a series of shows that I would not otherwise have a chance to see - Living in a community of 30 houses and a pub in the forest gives me few opportunity to see work other than what is shown on line - Real prints rule!

I hope I have not digressed too far

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 03-11-2012 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I think the fact that this discussion has arisen sugests that there is a problem and if I could just get over it, there would be no need to voice my opinion. But I feel we're living in a world where the young artist is forced to take a position, rather than follow his personal intuition. This is my dilemma and I believe that of many others.
    I agree. I think a lot of young artists are ruined by the "show or perish" pressure placed on them. The art schools contribute to this just as much as the curators do. Photographers whom I consider truly great, such as Edward Weston, Brett Weston and Frederick Sommer didn't let either public or curatorial taste dictate what they did. I think that's why their work is so personally compelling.

Charles Ives once said that a creative artist should never practice his art for a living. He should do something else for a living and practice his art as a true 'amateur'. Otherwise the work goes, as Ives put it, "Ta-ta for money".
    Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have been reading with pleasure.

Art photography does not accord to curators. At best, the art of photography, or any art for that matter, comes into accord with its creator...and it is nice when there is an audience that can appreciate it.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Charles Ives once said that a creative artist should never practice his art for a living. He should do something else for a living and practice his art as a true 'amateur'. Otherwise the work goes, as Ives put it, "Ta-ta for money".
    I can relate directly to that, I had to take a 10 year photography break after having worked as a pro.. The economical angle kept ruining any creative thought that I had, leaving me stiffled and confused!

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i guess this is another "photographers, curators, and judges are talentless,
    and promote "bad photography" / "bad art" " threads ...
    a lot of this is true and always will be true, ... but, it sells ...

if it really matters so much who the curators or judges are ...
    if you don't like the contests they are judging, or the exhibitions they are showing

don't go ... and start your own ...

it isn't hard to rent a space and start your own gallery, or have your own contests
    but the problem is, if your place becomes popular, or trendy, or shows "talent" then you become
    just like the things you were trying to get away from ( in other people's eyes )
    Well said John.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    WOW - This has just arrived in my email "in tray" from a state photographic art self appointed "peak body" - It is a quote from that state's gov't art gallery's curator of photography

"The *** embraces the fluidity and endless openness of the ceaselessly multiplying image world. And it is of course none again when the idea of the professional photographer is being turned over, lost re-found.

Curator of Contemporary Art & Photography
    Art Gallery of ***"

No, I don't understand it and want a member of APUG to translate for me - I have asked a close friend to translate and he was merely abusive
    Last edited by John Austin; 03-12-2012 at 07:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post

"The *** embraces the fluidity and endless openness of the ceaselessly multiplying image world. And it is of course none again when the idea of the professional photographer is being turned over, lost re-found.

Curator of Contemporary Art & Photography
    Art Gallery of ***"
    What language do you speak in Australia again?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Australia? - I did not specify Australia (I need to keep my images moving)

I won't repeat my friend's response to this gem of the English language, as I fear excommunication from the APUG brother and sisterhood if I repeat it, I have tottered on this brink before

(Please do not make a note of the hastily inserted PCism)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always thought of photography as a kind of curatorial practice.

By selecting, organizing, and assembling a body of work, a photographer is curating found objects/his visions/etc.

When you look at the obsessive-compulsiveness of certain 35mm photographers, you can't help but think that they are trying to put together the largest acquisition ever. They would surely benefit from some curatorial knowledge to organize their weeding out of their stuff.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin