Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,694   Online: 1006

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't crop and I think one of the main reasons is that I hate lifting up my enlarger head. I have everything set up to make 5"x7" prints, that uniformity is important to me.

I have this project where after taking a nice photo I take two steps back and photograph the scene with my camera & tripod in the foreground - I do this with a little P&S. In a sense that's the opposite of cropping.

Two other thoughts on this: I like that my framing can add something to photos insofar that it tells a story of what was happening at the margins: things half in and half out of frame adds something that I like.

Lastly, I love how grain on 800 speed film looks at 5"x7", once enlarged beyond that the grain looks different.

eddie asks how many shots have been passed up on account of the wrong lens/point of view etc and my answer is many as I rarely go out with more than one lens.
    Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Don't get me wrong guys, as I am not saying that I think not to crop is sacrosanct and indeed my gallery post “Finders, keepers” is obviously cropped from the original 3:2 aspect ratio. However, I sometimes think that leaving in the odd dross at the edges, reminds us of the real way we see, with peripheral vision.
    Making prints that convey your vision is sacrosanct. I am 100% happy with a print that is almost perfect.

In the midst of a print session, I am often reminded of the legend of the Cheyenne "spirit bead". I think the story goes that an otherwise perfect beadwork design/pattern is deliberately broken up by a bead of the wrong color, giving the spirits a door to enter and exit freely.

Your print offered here for discussion fits into that situation. I feel it loses something when you crop off the top. You say it reminds you of the way you see. That is what I feel. Cropped... the image becomes a beautiful print. The geometry improves. But the photograph loses a dimension of depth. You leave foreground and middle ground but take out the background.

ROL, I highly regard your vision, and consider you among my influences because you give these examples up for discussion.

In your cropping article you give four examples that I will say give..
    -A significant improvement at no cost to the original frame
    -A transformation from straight to abstract
    -A modest improvement at the cost of some periphery
    -A repurposing and finding of a picture within a picture.

I believe your Wildcat Falls is similar to cliveh's example. The improvement by cropping is subtle and not absolutely necessary. I actually like the original composition better. The rest of your examples I agree cropping is necessary for the vision.

Only you have the right to decide, as the artist, which presentation you want to make.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cropping, what radio stations I listen to, who I vote for, is my business, no one else.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    ...For those that don't crop, I'd ask how many shots you've passed up because you don't have the lens/format/point of view required for a particular image?
    An infinite number and a non-significant number at the same time.

An infinite number because there are an infinite number of possible images around us to photograph and to "miss".

And non-significant in that even eliminating whole catagories of images by choice of format, lens, film type, etc, one still has an infinite possible number of images available.

I have had to pass up so many images due to weather, wind, no loaded holders with unexposed film, "wrong" lens, etc, that it no longer matters. That I have seen those images is what matters. Anything I can capture on film and print and can share with others is just a bonus that photography brings me.

Embrace the inifinte!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    For beginner photographers, shooting and printing full-frame is a good exercise for training one's eye...for quickly learning to see as the camera/lens sees. For the same reason, using only one prime lens is also a good exercise for beginners. Both help them to be aware of what is happening in the corners and sides of the image -- those are important as they define what is happening in the center.
    And I would also suggest for those who are not beginners.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

People who don't crop are very rigid, self possessed, and uncompromising individuals.

These are people that normal people probably want to stay away from.

In fact I know of some people who say they crop, but when they sneak into their darkroom in the middle of the night will always print full frame.

So rigid.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Is there no hope for us??!!!!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Is there no hope for us??!!!!

Im screwed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think my soul will also have to pay for my first college photo class -- where I always cropped my Rolleiflex negatives to fit the 11x14 or 8x10 paper I had bought. It was not until my second class that realized that I could actually print full-frame, and as a bonus I'd get some extra border to handle the print with.

Of course, this not explain why during my third photo class I was printing a series using about half of a 4x5 negative to make 7x19 prints.

Vaughn

Thinking back to those student days, the decision to print at 7x19 was also influenced by the idea that I would be cutting my paper-costs in half -- two pieces from 16x20 photo paper! The money I earned during the summer had to last into Spring!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 03-12-2012 at 01:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I thing of the anti-cropping ethos as a product of the growth of 35mm photography, where you really have to get as much as you can from that tiny frame. So HCB tended not to crop, but Weegee generally tried to be six or ten feet from the subject, both for quick focusing and for exposure accuracy with flashbulbs, so of course he cropped, but still had plenty of resolution for newsprint.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin