Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,692   Online: 857

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    On the other hand, Stieglitz usually did, choosing deliberately to get more on the film than he needed, so he could compose in the darkroom. Of course, what worked for those guys is irrelevant to the way I choose to work.
    Steiglitz gave us the theory of Equivalents. This could be relevant to all us.

Absolutely crop if you are creating Equivalents.

I'd be horrified to learn that my preference to not crop led any photographer away from that path.

Refer to ROL's example again, Wildcat Falls. While I say I prefer the before... the after is more an Equivalent. Thus it has the potential to reach a higher level.

http://www.jnevins.com/whitereading.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey if Arnold Newman was not above cropping (and not just an edge here or there) , who am I to argue

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do what you need to do to make the images that you want to make.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    As I am almost completely in the “don’t crop” camp, but only use a standard lens with a 35mm camera. Does not cropping, perhaps have more validity with a standard lens on any format than say a telephoto or wide angle?
    An argument could be made that the "don't crop" camp have an agenda other than the pictorial content of their photographs. The classic example is Henri Cartier-Bresson who insisted that his images not be cropped for publication. It was all about control, H.C-B's rather than magazine editors, and insured that H.C-B would remain in charge of the cultivation of his own legend.

In truth the viewfinder of a Leica is not so precise that the edges are certain. Different focal length Leica lenses, particularly the wides, actually deliver different size images on film! Similarly 35mm SLR's (Nikon F, WL finder excepted) often show 90% or less of the image that will arrive on film. Different focal lengths offer no salvation. So it is odd that the "don't crop" people insist on keeping edge details they never saw as validation of their skills. And don't get me started on people who file out negative carriers and include "verification borders" real or faked to "guarantee" the integrity of their art.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I adopt the old maxim, "Fit the image to the format". Rangefinder viewfinders are by their nature imprecise: you will get more in that you cannot see (same, too, with MF viewfinders that do not show 100% of the view).
    Cropping is an individual thing: you can be for it or against it (as the argument in this thread vascillates to and fro...). I suggest you concentrate on what is right for you, irrespective of populist opinion.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin