Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 849

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep your pants on!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Keep your pants on!

Well he didn't specify in the thread title photographic advice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This Internet thing is just a fad.

(Back in 1995 when I was starting an Internet business)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Pages that hold strips of 6 are easy to find. Freestyle has them.

Are these Paterson ones different in allowing you to contact those onto 8x10, though? I have some strips of six pages but I don't like using them for that reason. They don't allow contacting onto 8x10 as they just wont fit. I have to dump all the strips out and carefully arrange them horizontally on an 8x10 sheet, which I find a hassle. Although, naturally enough, you get a sharper, more informative contact sheet, I don't usually care about that. I use the contact to judge composition and judge the negative directly for sharpness.
    Have you thought about getting a Paterson contact printing frame for 35mm, which will allow you to print 6 strips of 6 on a sheet of 10 X 8?
    Last edited by cliveh; 03-10-2012 at 01:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When shopping for my first camera (my beloved F2AS), I overheard an individual in the store declare (rather loudly) to a salesperson in the store that ALL photographs were either vertical or horizontal. This same individual subsequently repeated the same comment to yours truly as my purchase was being rung up. Shooting 35mm for several years, the proposition seemed obvious. When I moved up to shooting with the Hasselblad, however, I recalled the comment, thought about it for a moment, and decided to challenge it when I shot 6x6. To this day - some 25 years later - I have yet to crop when printing my medium format work. Part of it, I think, is the challenge of filling the square format; part is just a liking/discipline of the square format/full-frame shooting (i.e. I force myself to exercise greater care when composing); and the greater part, I am quite certain, is a subconscious (?) defiance of that certain loud-mouth in a that camera store so many years ago...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Don't underexpose your film"
    Not a chance, I shoot almost all my 35mm work pushed 2 stops, and it's beautiful. Tri-X at 1600 or 3200 with a Red 25 is gorgeous.

"Don't handhold a Pentax 6x7"
    Pft, that's why they exist, and why I don't use a Mamiya.

Many people who want to bestow some impromptu advice to me on the street about my work are usually armchair photographers who have no idea about it.

Best one ever:

"It's useless to handhold a Hasselblad for night photography"
    Not when you've got a knack for pushing Tri-X up the whazoo, and using Delta 3200, it's not.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Get a job.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You need to move up to large format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just use one film and one developer. As noted above, why? They make a variety because not one will work for everything. And these days, why standardize on just one and know just one when there's always a chance of it going away? One of the advantages of film is that with one camera you can use several different types of sensitized recorders.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Just use one film and one developer. As noted above, why? They make a variety because not one will work for everything. And these days, why standardize on just one and know just one when there's always a chance of it going away? One of the advantages of film is that with one camera you can use several different types of sensitized recorders.
    And the cameras themselves come in a wonderful variety, for the same reason. And how would you know what "the one"" is if you don't give more than one a try?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin