Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,410   Online: 1097

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I listened to a friend putting forth the wisdom of going to digitial printing. If I went with inkjet printing, I could produce large editions and sell them for considerably less per print than my limited hand made prints, but make far more income. The concept works well with him. He created a plastics business that is now world-wide based in the middle of nowhere, Humboldt County. Now his kids are out of the house, and most nights he is in his studio working on images and/or printing until the early hours of the morning. He is an excellent, excellent photographer, passionate about his work. I believe he has a MA in photography from Humboldt State University (a program which has long since, unfortunately, not existed).

So I decided that was not the path I wanted to be on. I enjoy making handmade prints, I love working with film, I love working with the 8x10. Which is very lucky because I think I would go broke trying to get up to speed with the digital hardware, paper, and ink! Well, not broke really, but I might have to give up beer...but I am afraid of having to produce more work to pay for all the stuff to make new work with which means I have to make more prints to pay around and around until I am dizzy. I'd have to really love doing that sort of work to be able to do that much of it and make it pay!

Now, the gelatin, sugar and lampblack watercolors I use for carbon prints are relatively cheap and the platinum is not all that expensive compared to the number of sheets of 16x20 silver gelatin I use to burn through! But I realize that doesn't mean I am off that big wheel I described above. But at least it is at a pace that I can deal with, happily producing some good negatives now and then, making some good carbon or platinum prints, working half-time for the university, and raising my three teenagers. And teaching a workshop now and then. And manage to travel a little around California now and again. It's not life in the fast lane.

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 03-11-2012 at 11:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Get a real job."

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quit buying photo gear.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stay away from "her" she's just using you.(15 yrs later and a divorce, it hits me--DOH!)
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Move waay baack so you can get everything in. (so my subject is this little dot in the middle; well I was only eight at the time, but it only took one roll of film to learn that was bad advise)
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Floss

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Quit buying photo gear.
    +1
    I wish I could follow that though. I really believe is does not help you become a better photographer.
    But I just cant stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    And the cameras themselves come in a wonderful variety, for the same reason. And how would you know what "the one"" is if you don't give more than one a try?
    Exactly!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone who says "that won't work" or "it can't be done" or "you can't do that" or something similar. These are usually people who need to be proven wrong.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I built the darkroom in 2003, I had a number of people tell me not to do that, the tide was toward digital, and that I should go digital. Didn't take that advice then, and don't regret it at all, though I have added some hybrid work with color recently, but still shoot it with film, and I love my time in the dark.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin