Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 809

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    photochemical works in the motion picture world

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wet photography, as in, "I am all wet."
    Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the idea that "analogue" makes sense in terms of audio signals only. Somehow it got carried over to mean anything non-digital. "Traditional" or "film" photography is the best way to describe what we do here. (Oops -- I just remembered the name of this forum....)

Shooter
    35mm
    I dont know,but better is -classic film photography,traditional film photography and .....
    I thin, digi make only digital picture,not photography !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Analog" doesn't necessarily pertain to audio, although that's certainly how we're most used to seeing the word: "of or pertaining to a mechanism that represents data by measurement of a continuous physical variable, as voltage or pressure." That certainly describes how we practice non-digital photography. However, "analog" carries so many associations that compare it to digital means that I hate to use the word. It is as if the use of the word is always an afterthought after something has gone digital. Whether one uses the terms "traditional," "silver-based," or "film" photography depends on one's frame of reference. I myself prefer "silver-based" for what I do.

Worker 11811's comments above are certainly correct. I started earnestly as a photography only four years ago. Long story short, I was ready to go back to college full-time, learn photography, and get a BFA in photography. But for various reasons, I didn't, and decided to teach myself the craft. I was determined to give myself a good fundamental education so that at the end, I'd know as much as someone with a BFA in photography would know. So after a year of learning digital, I plunged headlong into film, but thinking I'd do a "semester" or a year and then be done with it and go back to digital. Needless to say, I got hooked and it is digital I don't use much anymore -- mostly for when I need real-time results or when I'm doing complex lighting, or just for convenience. Film, though, gives me the tactile, hands-on, "I did it myself," "I'm an artist" feel that digital doesn't. Film has taught me more about everything relating to photography that digital didn't. You can name any area of competency relating to photography (e.g., exposure, composition, lighting, self-criticism), and I could tell you how film has helped me. I still like digital for some things, but film has helped me what digital just simply can't do well.

Shooter
    35mm
    I say 'film' for what I do. If someone doesn't understand I usually say something like 'you know, proper photography'.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ridyard View Post
    In the French-speaking world, traditional, non-digital photography is known as “photographie argentique”. The word “argentique” derives from the noun “argent”, which is the French word for silver. Thus, in French, one speaks of “argentique” (silver-based) and “numérique” (digital) photography. I have always thought that the digital/analog dichotomy refers to audio signals. Would it not be more appropriate to refer to analog photography as silver-based photography?
    Oh yes, “photographie argentique” is a much better description. I would like to use this all the time. Now thats what I call brilliant .

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I describe what I do as the "classic" photographic method, athough I then have to explain what I mean by classic. I do enjoy the word "argentique," though. It is sure to be a conversation starter.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

A rose by any other name would smell as bad.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I call it photography.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin