Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 757

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Who said you had to pay to have somebody teach you photography? Neither does it have to be formal, book learning either.
    My first photography teacher was my father. My first photography lesson was when I was ten years old where he handed me a loaded camera and said, "If you break this camera, I'll break you! Now get out of here and don't come back until number in this little window says '36.'"

Further, you're here. Aren't you? APUG counts for something. Doesn't it?
    Last I heard, all sorts of traditionally trained photographers were teaching others about photography right here at this forum.
    Good point!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I simply call it film photography and refer to analog prints as real darkroom prints, never being touched by a computer. I never got a formal education in photography either, was told not to even bother after I showed my portfolio to a well known shooter who was doing a book project that I wanted to assist him with by hauling his gear around. I ended up co-illustrating the book and went on to join his stock agency.

I did take two classes though in 1991 at Moorpark Community College with the prolific John Grey, advanced darkroom techniques and beginning Photoshop using version 2.0.....18 years of using D_g_tal cameras and 21 years in digi period....damn that seems like a long time!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I am going to be very frank here, If you have time to worry about this, get a hobby. This is like trying to make Snake your new nick name.

Just call me Snake :-)

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Well if your just referring to capture on film maybe but then subsequent analog prints could be alternative processes plat/palladium, iron based, etc.

Ian
    You are right on the broad spectrum of photographic print making, but as in all (I think) cases the original neg' is silver halide based, even Daguerreotype, so I feel silver based is a good description, better than "maybe"

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Film and electronic should be the names, both systems capture an analog image, the electronic one converts the recorded voltages to digital data after the shutter closes and the electronic device is read.
    As it was over 50 years ago I did school chemistry I am open to correction - But doesn't a crystal of silver halide being bashed around by a gang of photons do something with electrons and orbits and things?

I use the terms photography and digiography, in a slightly derogatory tone

However, digiography is superb in many ways, it allows images of cameras and lenses I have for sale to be sent to APUG and LFPF for display

The problem for me with digiography is there are too many pictures made and kept, but this problem is solved every time a computer hard drive crashes and the images disappear in an p'toof of blue smoke

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok, to truly warp the digicammers, point out that traditional photography is actually digital, not analog: silver grains are either exposed or not, they are on or off, thus digital. On the other hand, what everyone calls "digital photography" is actually analog - the CCD chip in a digicam is an analog device - it is only after being processed by the internal circuitry that the analog signals from the CCD are converted to a discrete digital approximation.

So, welcome all, to the world of traditional, digital, photography!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to set a dark mood for your pesky digicammer, remind them: only those of us with fully mechanical cameras (or beer cans and duct tape) will be able to visually document the dystopic future after the apocalypse. And all those computer stored digital images that documented the period from about 1998 to the apocalypse will be gone. Only our metal based images will survive. Bwaaaaa haaa haaa haaaaaaa!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    If you want to set a dark mood for your pesky digicammer, remind them: only those of us with fully mechanical cameras (or beer cans and duct tape) will be able to visually document the dystopic future after the apocalypse. And all those computer stored digital images that documented the period from about 1998 to the apocalypse will be gone. Only our metal based images will survive. Bwaaaaa haaa haaa haaaaaaa!
    We will be too busy trying to make tools out of old car bodies and wishing we had learned how to fish, hunt and grow food - Then is the problem of making livable shelters from the crap lying around - I doubt if anyone will have time to make cameras, or even chip drawings into rocks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto851025C8.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	47775

Like this one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @Worker 11811 Stop talking about the beer can. Drink one and make the damn camera! ;-) And show us the results of course.

On topic: I use analogue photography and everybody knows what I'm talking about. That is good enough for me.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, World Pinhole Photo Day is April 29, isn't it?

No better time than the present to start drinking some beer, eh?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin