Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,372   Online: 1059

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To keep it simple I just say photography.

To wind things up a bit I say I make pictures out of light-sensitive materials. That's the key, the "out of" bit. It's a unique and infallible test to distinguish photography from all other picture-making processes.

To really rev things up I say there is no such thing as "digital photography" (sic). To merely use the term is a de facto concession that the oxymoron might have real existence. It hasn't. I always say "digital picture-making" and so far in many articles, conversations, and lectures no one seems to be confused about what I mean.

Digital picture-making works quite differently to photography and I'm surprised that it is called by the same name. Perhaps the cause is the "language of the market-place" where things, cameras, software, printers, etc get called "photographic" to maximise sales to people who are ignorant of the difference and just want "pitchers".

Photography is a narrow and technically constrained way of making pictures but it seems to have extraordinary (unwarranted?) prestige. People who have never in their lives made a picture out of light-sensitive materials still crave the title photographer. And some of them get quite bellicose when challenged. It's almost as if they have been caught out in a lie.
    Last edited by Maris; 03-14-2012 at 05:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: punctuation
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the reason I almost always use the term "digicam" when referring to those electronic devices which use mathematical algorithms to approximate a photograph.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found myself saying chemical based photography lately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Irony: Those fancy chips in digicams are fabricated using a traditional photographic process (photo lithography).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The thing is, the bloke down the road probably doesn't know that film uses silver. One could say 'silver-gelatin', I suppose, but I just say 'I use film', which is good enough for most folk to understand (to numpties it's 'fillum') - if they want more info they'll ask. If I were using plates or paper I'd probably still say 'film' because technically it's still true because the chemicals lie upon a thin film of gelatin or collodion.

I like the sound of 'numérique' though. If I had 'un camera numérique', I might be tempted to say 'It's a trigital camera. It uses zeroes, ones *and* twos! It's the next big thing and it's more betterer than digital!' Imagine the gasps of wonder and amazement! :-D

Cheers,
    kevs.
    Last edited by kevs; 03-17-2012 at 12:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I now use "chemical photography". I agree that analog is no good as a descriptor, but then again, silver is too confining as well.
    I don't understand people's beef with analog.

In pro audio/recording, any non-digital process such as tape or cutting to vinyl is wholeheartedly referred to as analog. Film, silver, chemical development, etc. It's all analog photography.

If it's not using an A/D convertor to transfer one signal source to another, then it IS analog.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The word analog rubs me the wrong way because it means that a process that has existed for more than a century and a half is now being named in opposition to something else. I suppose "film photography" is probably clearer to the average person in the street than analog or silver-based photography. In any event, to follow up on a previous poster's comment, fixer by any other name...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Analog versus digital far predates digital photography, so don't shun that sort of classification.

As a long time electronics hobbyist, analog is reasonable description of non-digital photography. Film is too (but film can also be part of a hybrid mix, but a subset of people here are the only ones in the whole world to whom that distinction matters).

A vs. D has been in telecom since the late 1950's in telecom (digital T-carrier lines could carry more traffic more distance without loss). Digital music wasn't common till sometime way later. Early computers could be analog or digital. In the lower levels of this, it's not one is inherently better, but one is different and meets a need a new way. People remember analog cell phones; the sound quality was much nicer than the digital ones that replaced them (for better battery life and security.) It's not just music that analog is applied to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The stuff I buy and put in my camera is called "film". I don't buy rolls of analogue. So, "film photography" seems like an appropriate description to me. To name my preferred photographic method by reference to another, later, form, is like expecting a classical musician to call themselves a "non-popular" musician, to signify they don't play "pop music".

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by landscapepics View Post
    The stuff I buy and put in my camera is called "film". I don't buy rolls of analogue. So, "film photography" seems like an appropriate description to me. To name my preferred photographic method by reference to another, later, form, is like expecting a classical musician to call themselves a "non-popular" musician, to signify they don't play "pop music".
    Okay so running with this we would call digital cameras instead "sensor cameras?" Seems quite specific doesn't it? Yes you don't buy rolls of analog, you buy film that is analog. Implementation vs method.

Analog photography - I have zero issue with it. Further defining what kind within there (film, plate, cyano, etc) is perfectly fine just the same as people talking about their CMOS and CCD sensors.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin