Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,396   Online: 1116

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    i thought, yhis image was an example of horizontal shutter distortion with fast-moving subjects, which is different to focal-plane distortion.
    It depends on what you mean by Horizontal and vertical. These older Focal plane shutters tended to have blinds that had a horizontal slit that moved vertically for the exposure, like modern Seiko SLRshutters. Older SLR's tended to use cloth shutters with a vertical slit that moved horizontally.

When governed by tension and slit width like on a 5x4 Speed Graphic a horizontal edge of the shutter curtain slit takes just over 1/10th of a second to cross the film plane at the minimum tension #1, yet with the narrowest slit width this gives a shutter speed of 1/350th. So there's a time lag of 1/10th between the exposure at the top and at the botton, slightly longer if a wider slit is used.

Even at the top speed of 1/1000 which is at the maximum tension #6 there's a lag of 1/35th of a second.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/schlapp/2833892718/

Using a auxiliary shutter [slot in cardboard in front of lens]. My partner walking .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Hi Sirius,

Your shutter speed is too slow. Go back and read my post #4.

You must use a shutter speed fast enough that the shutter aperture is a moving slit.

- Leigh
    I tried 1/30s, 1/25s, 1/20s, 1/15s, and 1/10s multiple times slowly panning cars move 50mph perpendicular to me at about 40 feet away using a 7 1/2" lens.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Moving roll film would work as well. I asked about this a bit back as well. I'll post the link for the old post when I can find it later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I tried 1/30s, 1/25s, 1/20s, 1/15s, and 1/10s multiple times slowly panning cars move 50mph perpendicular to me
    Hi Sirius,

Like I said... Your shutter speeds are too slow.

To get the "sliding" effect you need a narrow slit moving across the film.

At the speeds you listed I believe the SG focal plane shutter is completely open, which will not deliver the desired result.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/8...an-camera.html

I will have to revisit it again soon as the weather is nice now, I never really got the chance to do it, and when I did set it up, I didn't have a target I could get to easily to experiment with. Plus I think a motor for rewinding would provide a better/steadier flow than hand winding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Hi Sirius,

Like I said... Your shutter speeds are too slow.

To get the "sliding" effect you need a narrow slit moving across the film.

At the speeds you listed I believe the SG focal plane shutter is completely open, which will not deliver the desired result.

- Leigh
    Thanks, I will try it again with a smaller slit. I guess that I had bad advice before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I will try it again with a smaller slit. I guess that I had bad advice before.
    i did mine at 1/15 of a second .. (the one posted) ..
    i have done more than once ...
    perhaps both advisements are correct ... ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So if I use 400 speed film, and shoot at tension 1 and 1/8" slit [1/350] @ f/16 and my 15" lens rather than the 7.5" lens, it should work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So if I use 400 speed film, and shoot at tension 1 and 1/8" slit [1/350] @ f/16 and my 15" lens rather than the 7.5" lens, it should work!
    Ideally you need a vintage racing car as well with spokes, and this the oldest motor racing track in the world is the ideal place to do it

Ian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin