Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,251   Posts: 1,680,459   Online: 711

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/schlapp/2833892718/

Using a auxiliary shutter [slot in cardboard in front of lens]. My partner walking .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Moving roll film would work as well. I asked about this a bit back as well. I'll post the link for the old post when I can find it later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I tried 1/30s, 1/25s, 1/20s, 1/15s, and 1/10s multiple times slowly panning cars move 50mph perpendicular to me
    Hi Sirius,

Like I said... Your shutter speeds are too slow.

To get the "sliding" effect you need a narrow slit moving across the film.

At the speeds you listed I believe the SG focal plane shutter is completely open, which will not deliver the desired result.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/8...an-camera.html

I will have to revisit it again soon as the weather is nice now, I never really got the chance to do it, and when I did set it up, I didn't have a target I could get to easily to experiment with. Plus I think a motor for rewinding would provide a better/steadier flow than hand winding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, I will try it again with a smaller slit. I guess that I had bad advice before.
    i did mine at 1/15 of a second .. (the one posted) ..
    i have done more than once ...
    perhaps both advisements are correct ... ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So if I use 400 speed film, and shoot at tension 1 and 1/8" slit [1/350] @ f/16 and my 15" lens rather than the 7.5" lens, it should work!
    Ideally you need a vintage racing car as well with spokes, and this the oldest motor racing track in the world is the ideal place to do it

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd hardly call that a hill, despite its big name in motorsports. Still sounds like fun though.

http://www.climbtotheclouds.com/history/ Mount Washington Hillclimb claims to predate Shelsley Walsh by a year. I photographed there last year, some of it with a speed graphic. Plenty of cars with wire wheels. Didn't get the focal plane distortion I wanted; perhaps a little, but not much. I'll experiment more before returning. Spectators and photographers have to board a bus or van at 6am to be delivered to the various lookout spots along the track. You have to stay at your lookout spot (or within a few hundred feet of it) till noon when there is a break in racing runs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So if I use 400 speed film, and shoot at tension 1 and 1/8" slit [1/350] @ f/16 and my 15" lens rather than the 7.5" lens, it should work!
    You also need a car moving at a decent rate of speed. The old pictures of old cars were taken at races, and those old cars were faster than you might realise. The Locomobile "Old 16" was capable of over 100 MPH, and was built in 1906. Try it on a car going 80 and above. The wheels on the old cars were a lot bigger, too - don't expect the same degree of distortion on a modern car going at the same speed, even when the slit travel time is the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Ideally you need a vintage racing car as well with spokes, and this the oldest motor racing track in the world is the ideal place to do it

Ian
    Napier Bentley at Shelsley Walsh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39dHNs7u5y4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    latrigue made the photograph in 1911 ... film/plate speed was not very fast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin