Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,878   Online: 895

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd hardly call that a hill, despite its big name in motorsports. Still sounds like fun though.

http://www.climbtotheclouds.com/history/ Mount Washington Hillclimb claims to predate Shelsley Walsh by a year. I photographed there last year, some of it with a speed graphic. Plenty of cars with wire wheels. Didn't get the focal plane distortion I wanted; perhaps a little, but not much. I'll experiment more before returning. Spectators and photographers have to board a bus or van at 6am to be delivered to the various lookout spots along the track. You have to stay at your lookout spot (or within a few hundred feet of it) till noon when there is a break in racing runs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    So if I use 400 speed film, and shoot at tension 1 and 1/8" slit [1/350] @ f/16 and my 15" lens rather than the 7.5" lens, it should work!
    You also need a car moving at a decent rate of speed. The old pictures of old cars were taken at races, and those old cars were faster than you might realise. The Locomobile "Old 16" was capable of over 100 MPH, and was built in 1906. Try it on a car going 80 and above. The wheels on the old cars were a lot bigger, too - don't expect the same degree of distortion on a modern car going at the same speed, even when the slit travel time is the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Ideally you need a vintage racing car as well with spokes, and this the oldest motor racing track in the world is the ideal place to do it

Ian
    Napier Bentley at Shelsley Walsh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39dHNs7u5y4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    latrigue made the photograph in 1911 ... film/plate speed was not very fast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Napier Bentley at Shelsley Walsh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39dHNs7u5y4
    Doesn't a car like that just beg to be photographed with some focal plane distortion along with the smoking tires?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Doesn't a car like that just beg to be photographed with some focal plane distortion along with the smoking tires?
    It's only down the road from me if anyone fancies coming along one day It's also on a Public footpath so they can only charge for car parking

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I saw that car in person in the late 90s, when they were running it with stub exhausts and preventing the rear springs winding up by chaining the rear axle to the frame. 12 cylinders of 122 cubic inches each makes a very interesting sound.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The wheels on the old cars were a lot bigger, too - don't expect the same degree of distortion on a modern car going at the same speed, even when the slit travel time is the same.
    Well I do have 35" tires ... will those be large enough?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GX0U6351.JPG  
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This link, from post #39 above by jp498, has an excellent animated graphic that shows how the process works:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s-camera/page4

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin