Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,016   Online: 1198

View Poll Results: PLAYAHZ AND HAYTAHZ

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scanned prints only, no digtial manipulation other than sizing

6 4.51%
  • Scanned prints only, potentially with some GLOBAL adjustments to contrast and levels

26 19.55%
  • Scanned prints or negatives, no digital manipulation like spotting or local tweaking

18 13.53%
  • Scanned prints or negatives, electronic tweaks okay but only if they'd be easy to duplicate in the wet darkroom

46 34.59%
  • Scanned prints or negatives,, electronic tweaks okay but only if they could be duplicated by a skilled darkroom artist, e.g. Jerry Uelsmann

7 5.26%
  • No big deal, images are images, but since it's APUG I expect that there must be SOME analog componenet to a pic, or I'm likely to put the poster on my ignore list

12 9.02%
  • I like pitchurs and don't care how you got em

18 13.53%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'm in category two, as far as black and white goes. For color I usually shoot Velvia, then scan it, adjust it as necessary for printing, then have it printed either on an Epson, Chromira or LightJet. So I guess that puts me in the second to last category for color work.

As far as Nov 2nd goes - at least I'm still in the majority for something.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oops!
    I voted for number two-I did what I was told not to do and voted for what I do...maybe I am a falling to pieces ruin with a whole in the middle and tangled vines
    on top....
    Number four sounds good to me....I prefer to make my scans look as close as possible to the original print.Otherwise what's the point of posting them in the first place?
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=green]RESULTS[/color][/size]

As of noon PST, Friday 19 November:

• Total Votes: 64
    • [color=blue]Playahz: 13[/color]
    • [color=red]Haytahz: 51[/color]

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Images
    Interesting poll. I am not certain whether a vote cast is for "what should be on APUG" or "how I approach my own work."

The two responses would differ. As I find this site to be an oasis for traditional photographers that celebrates the analog processes they use to translate their personal vision, attempts to keep it focused on relevant discussion are justified. I haven't had access to a traditional darkroom in years, but I appreciate the passion that individuals like those posting on this site have for their work and their efforts to perpetuate the craft.

I think, while challenging, efforts to keep the site free from mention of the "d" word are a worthwhile pursuit, and the gray area subforum is a rational solution to the conundrum. I find the anti-"d" hostility that often rears its ugly head counterproductive, akin to the mentality of a radical fringe group, even racist to some degree. Interestingly, I've not noted similarly hostile feelings from the "other" camp. Instead, their is in large part, an appreciation for the "traditional methods." But, perhaps a hostile posture is what some members of the photographic community feels is appropriate. What drives the contemporary trends is commerce. IMO, this community is more concerned with the art of photography, the aesthetics of creativity and the joy of the human endeavor.

It seems to me that if the joy of this pursuit is perpetuated, this community should only grow larger, and the future should be brighter.

If the poll is about requirements for posting images to the site, the best suggested requirement I have seen offered was posted by Francesco, where he said something along the lines of, at the least, the print has to have been souped. With the increasing amount of overlap between the "d" world and the analog world, this seems to be the clearest distinction and easily sets this group apart from the rest of the world.

Respectfully...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No mystics? How remarkable.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    No mystics? How remarkable.
    Well those crystal balls reflect the light too much and they are soooo cliché

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kswatapug
    As I find this site to be an oasis for traditional photographers that celebrates the analog processes they use to translate their personal vision, attempts to keep it focused on relevant discussion are justified....
    Or, those who just feel that there is nothing wrong or second-rate about using traditional processes. On some websites, there are people that are so pro-digital, comparing those who use film to cavemen. Here you don't get that attitude and that is what makes this site so refreshing.

Just for laughs... Today, I was doing a web search searching for articles, etc., comparing Velvia 50 versus Velvia F100 (which I have used for awhile, but lately I have become dissatisfied with the results it produces) and found an article that someone wrote trying to compare the results from a D100 with a 4x5" Velvia; they found the D100 produced better results - when you read the article, the writer sharpened the D100 image in PS, and did nothing to the Velvia. Just goes to show how biased some people are in trying to make their point.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wheres the option for, "draw it in MS PAINT and call it a photograph"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've gone for the option of scanning and tweaking the brightness/contrast. I only scan prints for posting on the web or creating little thumbnails for the database I am building which will be used to store records of how the picture was taken and printed. I can the print directly rather than the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=green]RESULTS[/color][/size]

As of noon PST, Friday 19 November:

• Total Votes: 64
    • [color=blue]Playahz: 13[/color]
    • [color=red]Haytahz: 51[/color]
    Just curious - how do these results treat those of who didn't vote because none of the options fit our preference? And, what's the correlation between the pie-chart titles and the question sequence? The titles seem, well, digitally manipulated.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin