Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,911   Online: 1060

View Poll Results: PLAYAHZ AND HAYTAHZ

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scanned prints only, no digtial manipulation other than sizing

6 4.51%
  • Scanned prints only, potentially with some GLOBAL adjustments to contrast and levels

26 19.55%
  • Scanned prints or negatives, no digital manipulation like spotting or local tweaking

18 13.53%
  • Scanned prints or negatives, electronic tweaks okay but only if they'd be easy to duplicate in the wet darkroom

46 34.59%
  • Scanned prints or negatives,, electronic tweaks okay but only if they could be duplicated by a skilled darkroom artist, e.g. Jerry Uelsmann

7 5.26%
  • No big deal, images are images, but since it's APUG I expect that there must be SOME analog componenet to a pic, or I'm likely to put the poster on my ignore list

12 9.02%
  • I like pitchurs and don't care how you got em

18 13.53%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Playahz and Haytahz

Okay kids, so which are you? Take a stand! Expand your ignore list!

The point of this poll: not what do YOU do, but WHAT SHOULD OTHERS BE ALLOWED TO DO. It's fun for the whole fandamnily®!!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't understand your question.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandalay
    I don't understand your question.
    Art you are too danged fast, you read the first comment on this poll BEFORE THE POLL APPEARED! If internet time distortion isn't sneaky digital voodoo, I don't know what is.....

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Art you are too danged fast, you read the first comment on this poll BEFORE THE POLL APPEARED! If internet time distortion isn't sneaky digital voodoo, I don't know what is.....
    Oh shoot!! Sorry I thought something must have been missing.

I would prefer it if there were no scanning at all because it is digital. I vote that we mail the prints to each other, preferably by Pony Express
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whooooops! Rushed it, meant to vote for "Scanned prints only, potentially with some GLOBAL adjustments to contrast and levels" i.e make the scan look like the analogue print you have made. There ...... said it!!

Feels like coming clean about my political affiliations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As both a newcomer and a non-subscriber, I'm not sure I have a voice in this issue, but for B&W work, I kinda like "Scanned prints only, potentially with some GLOBAL adjustments to contrast and levels" - with spotting allowed - the objective being that the scan should match the print as closely as possible (consistent with the APUG spirit).

But, B&W negative scans with similar global adjustments and spotting don't bother me as long as they're identified as such, represent what (tentatively) would be done with the print, and are used primarily for discussion purposes (as opposed to representing final product).

I'm even more wishy-washy regarding scans of color work, as the transparency may be intended as the final product. Thus, a scan, adjusted and spotted as necessary to match the original transparency, would seem to be a reasonable representation of that work, and consistent with the spirit of APUG.

Bottom line, however, it still has to be an honor system guided by the spirit of the site.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    for B&W work, I kinda like "Scanned prints only, potentially with some GLOBAL adjustments to contrast and levels" - with spotting allowed - the objective being that the scan should match the print as closely as possible (consistent with the APUG spirit).
    I agree with Ralph on this one. A print scan isn't necessarily going to produce a better representation of a print than a neg scan, at least for a silver print. Too much depends on the scanner one has access to. Also a neg scan and a print are both one generation away from the neg, while a print scan is two generations from the neg, so while a print scan has the potential to show the work of printmaking, it's another generation and will require its own manipulation.

Obviously if it's a print with a less uniform texture or handcoating artifacts or strong toning, then it makes more sense to try to scan the print.

The real thing, and the strength of APUG over most other photo sites, of course, is THE REAL THING (i.e., print exchanges, postcard exchange, traveling portfolio), and not what is in the online galleries.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd vote, but then I wouldn't be able to post ANY photos. I don't work in B&W and I only print after I've scanned my trannies.

The only pics I post on APUG are the scans that I've had no work to do on to make them acceptable as "photographs" (i.e. no dodging or burning or contrast control). It really restricts the number of photos I can show here, but that's fine. I'm happy to go with APUG's philosophy just so I can pick the brains of you people, and hopefully contribute something along the way.

(Found an option to suit me on closer inspection .... )
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    unless a posted image is intentionally deceptive, what harm can be done?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, I voted, but only because I felt it was my constitutional perogative to do so. While I do appreciate Bjorke's concern over the digital purity of APUG, I fear we are just turning a blind eye to the more serious problem of avatars. :o

Yes, fellow APUGGERs, what is of great concern to me is not the digital content of posts in the galleries, but that our avatars do not truly represent what we look like. So many of our members look like cameras, or chemical bottles. It is a constant wonder to me how the incumbent US President was elected when his picture appeared on multiple daily posts on APUG. Maybe the good old USA would be in better shape if the incumbent spent more time running the country than posting on APUG

I know that I look like my avatar. This is an issue that we need to address as a forum...
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin