Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,894   Online: 916

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I should retirtle this thread, but I don't know how. Her actual words were "Can I get you to move"? in a very expectant manner. Its hard to transmit body language and demeanor over the internet. She was not polite, despite not being obviously rude.

If she had started by explaining politely "Sir, I've been asked to photograph this recently engaged couple in this lovely gazebo. Would you mind moving just for a few minutes? If not, we'll come back later". Then I would probably have gladly moved.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."
    I like that, Colin. Empathy. Goes both ways.
    The problem with that is getting their shoes away from them in the first place.

Images
    As someone who used to write and who knows how hard it is to find a place to do it where you can use the space you need, I completely sympathize. I would not have moved. As it is a public spot, first come first dibs. As a professional she should know this. Would she have packed all her crap up and moved for you? Seriously doubt it. The amount of time I am asked to move is not important.

So, let me ask, as photographers would you pack up all of your stuff and move when someone "asked" you to so they could use the space, or would you say no and keep shooting until you were done?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    What?

Any real photographer would have just photoshopped you out. Must have been some antiquated analog type.

Seriously, though I've run into this many many times. I politely ask them to move and explain the reason and they always kindly move. Often I offer them a gift certificate for a portrait session and 8x10 that I carry with me.

Never once had a problem and to the OP, Wayne, thanks for moving.

Certain locations are so important to us.
    Done this way? OK. Done with a air of entitlement? Find another spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    The problem with that is getting their shoes away from them in the first place.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As to the OP, it sounds to me like the photographer was having a stressful day and made the error of letting it show. Hopefully, it didn't show in her photos.

Personally, I would have moved, then whinged to other people about it, just like the OP seems to be doing. But if I were camping and with my dog, I would have been chilled out, and probably offered to help if they needed it.

Why make a scene which would only serve to punish the innocent couple and ruin what should be a good day for them? Ten minutes isn't going to kill you, and didn't ruin your day. What ruined your day is your response to it (anyone remember Ken Keyes????). You don't have to view every inconvenience as a personal challenge or battle, and you don't have to try and 'win' every one of them.

You saved the couple's shoot and should feel good about THAT, not still annoyed because the photographer wasn't nice enough.

my 2 cents.
    Richard

I should point out, that as a portrait photographer for hire, we have certain locations, depending on time of day, lighting, subject matter in our minds when we venture out to do outdoor shoots.

When we arrive at them and someone is there, our first reactions is always, "oh shit". We can come by here a thousand times a day and never a soul around, and then when we go to shoot there, someone is parked there.

I used to have a favorite family, wedding site with great light, trees etc and soon some wannabe photographers started using "my" spot so I couldn't use it any more. (only so much time after a wedding)

What really pissed me off was they were shooting with a fucking flash on their cameras so their pictures were crap anyway. (I saw some of them, flash blasting out the available light) And I used it for a natural background and a natural direction of light.

So as photographers we can get pretty pissy and possessive about our "spots".

I just usually politely say something like " Get the fuck out of my spot asshole" and that seems to work.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    I should point out, that as a portrait photographer for hire, we have certain locations, depending on time of day, lighting, subject matter in our minds when we venture out to do outdoor shoots.

When we arrive at them and someone is there, our first reactions is always, "oh shit". We can come by here a thousand times a day and never a soul around, and then when we go to shoot there, someone is parked there.

I used to have a favorite family, wedding site with great light, trees etc and soon some wannabe photographers started using "my" spot so I couldn't use it any more. (only so much time after a wedding)

What really pissed me off was they were shooting with a fucking flash on their cameras so their pictures were crap anyway. (I saw some of them, flash blasting out the available light) And I used it for a natural background and a natural direction of light.

So as photographers we can get pretty pissy and possessive about our "spots".

I just usually politely say something like " Get the fuck out of my spot asshole" and that seems to work.
    Pay for a limited access site? No problem. Get snarky about a public place with people in it? Offside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with wedding photography is always time, there is never enough! I have faced this situation on many occasions, and generally find people really happy to oblige,being a wedding and all. On one occasion, a couple wanted a shot on a jetty at sunset but there was a single man fishing at the end, I very politely asked if he could move for just a couple of minutes. His reply was, after seeing the couple, I will move if you give me $50.00!
    I told him to forget it and went back to the couple with the news. Just happened at this wedding the groom was a front row forward for the Manly rugby league team, as were the groomsmen.....long story short....they had a fruitful discussion and the money hungry gent decided that this spot was no good for fishing anyway!

Images
    Bully mentality is disgusting.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin