Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,981   Online: 826

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bill,

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry ...different strokes for different folks. A number of years ago I was invited to have a photograph of a particular piece in the Art in Public Places for an anniversary of that program. I photographed it with 4x5 format and couldn't decide which of four images to use so I spent very many hours to print all four negatives on one piece of paper in the required scale as they were going to have rear illuminated transparencies. Since the tonal separation was very subtle I also took some 4x5 color transparencies at the same time and spent 30 minutes round trip to the local lab. As you might have guessed the person incharge wanted to use the color. I insisted they use the B&W as long as they could be accurately reproduced. I was pleasantly pleased that they used the B&W.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last week, I attended a lecture by Hank O'Neal.
    http://www.hankoneal.com

During the talk, he discussed some of his conversations with Berenice Abbott. He said that there were times when she told him not to shoot in color even though he argued that a given photo "needed" to be in color. The rationale was thus:

When you take a photograph, you are compressing an image down from the real world, in three dimensions to a flat, 2-D likeness. Because of this, a photograph can easily become "cluttered" with too much information. Shooting in black and white allows the photographer to distill the image down to its essential components without having to look through the clutter of color information.

He did allude to the fact that some photos call for color but the thrust of the argument was that, to be a good photographer, you must learn how to shoot black and white in order to learn how to distill an image down to its essential elements.

He also picked on a couple of the digitographers in the crowd and told them that it is vital for them to learn how to shoot with film if they want to progress in photography. But that's a different story.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    Showed the B&W to my wife. She said she liked it. Made me feel pretty good. (Got a bunch of compliments from others that saw it too. Lots of ooo's and ah's.) Then I showed my wife the Velvia shot. She said "I like this one better." Grrrrrrr...
    I get that all the time with my wife. She goes a step farther and asks to see the color one.

I do find that portraits & details work better for me in B&W than landscapes do, of course there are exceptions.

Another thing I've been playing with is printing my color negs on B&W paper. I've actually been pleasantly surprised so far.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shot this last spring - Bluffer's Park on the shores of Lake Ontario

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluufers sunrise.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	48279
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin