Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,537   Online: 840

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Some digital cameras have more iknobs, iswitches and ithings than all my four view cameras put together - Having a camera with lots of switchy things obviously makes digi-photographers clever in the perception of these digi-photographers
    Haha. Very true. In school I was the only one to shoot film with the rest shooting digital. They were always so amazed at what I could produce from the darkroom, originally using a camera that did not have as many "functions" as their DSLR's. I'd always reply that they were missing out on selecting the shutter and aperture themselves.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People usually don't assume I can photograph at all, because I don't have a camera that looks like a machine gun. Film?
    They just assume I don't have a clue, and I'm actually pretty happy with that.
    But I understand the frustration of OP and others. It's annoying.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't know. Down here on the coast a ways, I have never had anyone make that assumption...at least in my range of hearing. I guess carrying a big wood tripod folks must think I am a surveyor, not a photographer (I did hear that in Yosemite a couple of weeks ago).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post

But it really p*sses me off when people think I can't do digital photography just because I choose to shoot film!
    Hear, hear!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In order to be a photographer you need to have a big lens and a camera with lots of accessories, spare batteries, memory cards and stuff.
    The camera that I have been carrying the most, lately, is a Rolleiflex. It doesn't have batteries, it has no accessories and it hardly has a sizeable lens at all.

The way I see it, the size of a photographer's lens is inversely proportional to the size of his penis.

I hope that's true because the last "new" camera I got, I made from an empty 12 oz. can of A&W Root Beer. The lens is 0.03 millimeters in diameter.
    If the inverse proprotion holds true, that means I'm King Kong!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just smile and tell them that no electrons were killed for the sake of your pictures.

Valerie, I would have used the old Charlie Chan quote to the student, "Confucious say, Better not speak and appear dumb then speak and remove all doubt."

BTW, I seldom use my cell phone. I don't twitter or tweet -- birds twitter. People who use facebook seriously need to get a real life. I do like some technology; I have a laptop and a kindle which I love.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-23-2012 at 09:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    The camera that I have been carrying the most, lately, is a Rolleiflex. It doesn't have batteries, it has no accessories and it hardly has a sizeable lens at all.
    I love other photographers saying the use a Rolleiflex, they make good pix very easy somehow and I shall return to mine when I next travel - I hereby urge every Rolle owner to not sell to a collector, only other photographers

Shooter
    35mm
    I "upgraded" from a film SLR to a digital P&S back in 2001. In 2010 I built a Populist 35mm pinhole camera. That was the beginning of my return to film. I upgraded back to my film SLR in March 2011. I shot both until my digital P&S got wet. Now I use my film SLR for everything photographic.

My son has had a digital P&S since Christmas 2010. It's a Kodak C182, and he's taken quite a few pictures with it and has a pretty good eye. He likes his camera, but I sensed some jealousy when he saw what I was getting out of my manual focus and auto focus film SLRs and a cheap Vivitar slide projector.

During the 2011-2012 school year we started giving him money for good grades on his report card (I'm not above bribing the kids to do well in school!) I fell behind on getting the money to him, and so this week I asked him if he would like to have a camera like mine, or would he rather have the money. No hesitation - he asked for a camera like mine. When I asked him if he would rather shoot print film or slide film, again no hesitation. He wants to shoot slides.

Needless to say we have a Pentax SLR, lens, and camera strap (gotta have that so he doesn't drop the camera) on the way from KEH. We also have 5 rolls of Provia 100F slide film on the way from B&H. I will teach him to zoom in before focusing first, then rule of thirds and some other compositional stuff. The technical side of things will come a bit later (my two favorite modes on SLRs are Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority, with the third being Manual. I do tend to use the program mode for flash photos).

I'm looking forward to sharing some of his film photos soon.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's a response: "I use film in order to lower my carbon footprint. Every time you recharge the batteries in your digital camera you are contributing to global warming. Plus, I get better images this way."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    I love other photographers saying the use a Rolleiflex, they make good pix very easy somehow and I shall return to mine when I next travel - I hereby urge every Rolle owner to not sell to a collector, only other photographers
    Just after the new year, I took my Rollei on vacation to Greenville, South Carolina. I went walking around downtown Greenville with it one Saturday afternoon.

I have NEVER had so many people notice the camera and comment on it as on that day. I could not walk 100 yards without somebody noticing, giving the "thumbs up" or saying, "Hey! Nice camera!" I got stopped or fell into conversation with no less than six people during that afternoon. A couple of them were decent looking college girls, too!

Too bad I'm married!
    My wife was with me that day and she was not amused.

It is worthy to note that Greenville is home to the Greenville Arts Center and the South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts. So, there's a high concentration of art students and visual artists there. Greenville is the only place I have gone in recent memory where I have not had the feeling that people make negative assumptions about me because I have an "old" camera that shoots film.

Regardless, here's a tip for you unattached guys out there:
    Buy, beg, borrow or steal a Rolleiflex and learn how to use it! They're chick magnets!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin