Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,514   Online: 1051

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I'm out and about with a film camera, people who express an opinion usually seem to think, rightly or wrongly, that working with film is more serious.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I've met a lot of film-only photographers who have all kinds of idiotic ideas about digital because, frankly, they don't know how to do it. Taking pictures with a digital camera is easy, the processing of the image is a totally new skill set that involves learning software (like Photoshop and Lightroom), learning about monitor calibrating and color managing printing. This stuff is not easy, and people who have taken the time and put in the effort to learn it are not 'too stupid to shoot film' or any other silly insults you want to throw.

... Ultimately the final image, not the camera used, is what matters....but don't slam others for their choice of medium. It just makes you look narrow minded.
    Hear, Hear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    This semester, when a student found out I don't shoot digital, said "So you're not a real photographer then?"

I politely and firmly corrected him (when I really wanted to squish him like a bug!).
    Tell him he "flunked".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Hear, Hear.
    Why are digital photographers so defensive about their chosen form of photography ?, I made no criticism of it, all I wrote is that it wasn't for me.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just really laugh loudly in their face. That usually ends the conversation.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with society is everyone think they cannot live without the "latest and greatest", and if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles it isn't worth spit. After 50 years, I'm finally getting the hang of film, and couldn't care less if my gear is as old or older than me, I purpously bought the stuff so I could understand film better. Many of us bodgers went through a period of having the newest, and suffered dearly for having to relearn what should already be second nature, only because we had to learn what the camera would do for us. I grew weary of having my gear control me, and now control my gear. Back to basics, and creative control.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The problem with society is everyone think they cannot live without the "latest and greatest", and if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles it isn't worth spit.....
    That's the essence of consumerism and engineered obsolescene right there. If you look at the tools a real craftsman uses, say a cabinet maker, you'll notice they are pretty primitive when compared to the crap at home depot.

The most important tool we'll ever have is right between our ears, and "all the bells and whistles" make it harder to use that one essential tool.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The most important tool we'll ever have is right between our ears, and "all the bells and whistles" make it harder to use that one essential tool.
    Hear hear!! My two favorite AE modes are Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. Programmed AE is for flash pictures in those cases where I don't feel like doing the math in my head.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heh... reminds me of the movie, "Quigley, Down Under". He told the bad guy that he did didn't have much use for revolvers. At the end of the movie the bad guy, an expert quick-draw with revolvers, armed Quigley with one "knowing" Quigley, a rifle marksman, didn't have a prayer to defend himself. Quigley killed the bad guy and both of his side-kicks then stood over the bad guy and said, "I said I never had much use for 'em... never said I don't know how to use 'em."

Digitize, 'em baby!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I gave a demonstration of the carbon printing process to about photo 25 students yesterday.

After giving the demo showing how much work goes into the process, over half want to do a week-end workshop with the process. Then I made the mistake of asking if anyone would like to opportunity to use an 8x10...all but a handful want to. What have I gotten myself into?!LOL!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin