Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,207   Online: 961

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Hand him a digicam or a Rollex and he'll bring you back great photos.
    Or tell you the time!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i know exactly what ou guys mean .they treat us like dinosaurs,film dinosaurs.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    George Eastman built his empire on the belief that people are inheirantly lazy. His motto:"you push the button, we'll do the rest". People want machines to do it all for them, that way they can pat themselves on the back for the little effort they put into life.
    And I'm sure artists said that when cameras where introduced too. Do you not have any machines at home that do things for you? Most people do not really care that much about how the little box works, all they want is the pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What on earth are you on about? The vast majority of black and white chems and many color ARE perfectly safe to dump down the drain in hobbyist quantities.
    roger

people say+do dopy things on both sides of the street ...
    (and you can read it here on apug or anywhere else )
    THAT is what i am talking about .
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-25-2012 at 07:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Digital has made it easier for idiots to blast away and produce lots of mediocre rubbish at little cost.
    Also most people who don't care and just want a snapshot have gone digital leaving a much higher proportion of film users in the real photographer category.
    There are however lots of damn good photographers out there shooting digi and putting just as much effort in as film shooters.

I've had one or two smart comments out shooting film 35mm SLRs but if I'm shooting one of my EOS Canons people assume its a DSLR till I change rolls and if I'm using the Rollei I get lots of "cool camera" and "can you still get film for it?" (well hello, I'm taking photos with it!!!!) or "my dad had one like that" or from older folks "I used to use one of those..." and the odd "got one in the cupboard, thought you couldn't get the film anymore!".
    Only negative reaction I have had was from a drunk who thought it was a tv camera and when I said it wasn't he thought it was a speed camera (I was taking traffic light trail shots on a tripod) then he eventually lost interest and walked away.

Most people I know are aware that I like old stuff.
    I drive a '70s car, shoot film, shoot a 1950s target pistol, scour markets for vinyl records, listen to classic rock and jazz, and buy new gadgets only after everybody else has them and they're no longer fashionable.
    They take it as part of my nature and leave it alone.
    I do shoot digital, but not all that often.
    When I'm at work driving buses there is always a pocket digi with me and often I come across something worth shooting. I just don't want to subject the Rollei to being carted around all day in the locker of a bus...although sometimes I will take a rangefinder along in my lunch bag.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Or tell you the time!

Steve.
    No, that would be a Rolex. With a Rollex he'd probably have overlapping frames with modern films, but the later Super Rollex backs avoid this problem.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    This is really nothing new... in the early 90s, pre-digital, I got into an argument with a fellow photo student over whether her Minolta Maxxum camera could make "better portraits" than my Nikon because hers had a "Portrait Card" installed. I understand the OP's frustration. I've got a Master's in Graphic Arts that entails a lot of experience with Adobe Photoshop and lots of other digital imaging equipment and software. Many people are surprised to learn that I use film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811
    Hand him a digicam or a Rollex and he'll bring you back great photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Or tell you the time!
    Oops!
    But, the one guy I know, could probably STILL takes pictures with it!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's my take on digital...

1. As others stated, people like George Eastman understood that the vast majority of people just want an easy solution to a mediocre end. Most folks don't care about all the technical stuff... they just want a picture.

2. The good thing about digital technology making it super-easy to take some very decent photos... and occasionally a great one without ever having to think about the technical stuff is that this raises the bar for all those who do still care about the technical stuff. To stay ahead of the game we must become technically better and more creative at what we do. That's a good thing.

That's just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i don't think digital photographers are any more defensive than film photographers.
    i think what happens is that people who shoot film have to defend themselves for not wanting to shoot digital
    ( and they make up all sorts of crap like you have to upgrade everything every 2 months or year or some BS )
    just like their lame excuses for pouring their chemistry down the drain ...
    and digital photographers have to explain that it isn't over when you push the button, just like with film
    there is some sort of process that takes place between exposure and printing, and since they don't upgrade often
    they have virtually no waste ...
    At every photo club meeting or workshop I go to, they always talk about when they shot film. They then proceed to talk about the greatness of digital over the film that they shot. I find it funny that even years after they have stopped shooting film they still find it necessary to mention it and how "awful" it was.
    Tim Ernst during a lecture in 2010 said that Kodak had just killed Kodachrome and how happy he was when he stopped shooting that "awful" film. There I end having to defend my choice to shoot on a near monthly basis even though they all know that I also shoot a lot of digital, I work for my University student newspaper. So, I certainly know my way around my DSLR as well as my Rolleicord or A-1
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin