Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,217   Posts: 1,659,505   Online: 797
      
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 113
  1. #81
    John Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    521
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by derwent View Post
    I never bother with film for a classifieds/eBay/etc shot because it just doesn't matter that much and archival issues are not a factor.
    I suspect most people are the same.
    That kinda thing or shots for email are the main thing I use my pocket digi for but one thing I love about it and use it for a LOT is EXIF data.
    Each location that I shoot on film I take a roughly framed digi shot so weeks later when I'm cataloging that film I can look up the date and rough time of that location and session. So much easier than remembering a notebook every time....
    Like the classified thing was a joke, meaning not to be taken seriously!!!!

    However, I do like your idea of using the EXIF data in addition to written notes - If anyone can teach me how to add voice to a digisnap I will put in N+- processing factors and direction as well as a voice over, that would be very useful, and a digicamera no bigger than a Ixus 70 that will also record UTM location ID

  2. #82
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,644
    Some toners (mainly selenium) yes. I don't dump my selenium. I let it evaporate in a pan that becomes plated with selenium. Eventually I'll turn it in to a hazmat reclamation center. At this rate that will take decades. Metol, HQ and "silver rich fixer" - poppycock, and quantity does indeed matter. "Silver rich fixer" is only any concern at all because it's rich with silver ion - metallic silver is not a problem. And in practice, silver ion is not toxic in typical quantities in the typical waste water treatment system because it doesn't stay ion very long. There's plenty of reactive material and it quickly becomes metallic silver. Now if you're dumping a few gallons directly into a trout stream, I'll agree that's dangerous and irresponsible. Dumping it down the drain with sewage, nah.

    If anything, this is a misconception on the part of digital folks, that film is so polluting.

    I agree it's not the point of the thread, but I didn't bring it up.

  3. #83
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    On which thought, how many pix in the classified section were made with film and then scanned?

    Some of them look like digipix to me - For that heresy I shall now. . .
    Probably none. Why would you do this? It's a lot of trouble where it doesn't really return you anything.

    I, as I suspect most people here, do shoot some digital. I have a 10 year old Nikon Coolpix 995 that I use for snapshots and quick records, especially if I need more quality than my iPhone can provide. I use it for photos of anything for sale. I toy with the idea of getting a decent DSLR, for two purposes: one, for family events and such, where film is not much if any better and I just get a huge backlog of negatives. I don't have time to print that much. I have stuff I shot of my fiance's family over a year ago and I just haven't had time to print them yet. Secondly, for very low light shooting. This is the one area where digital beats film handily. I do enjoy shooting TMZ and Delta 3200 in dim light, but when it gets really dim I could get better quality more quickly and easily with a DSLR.

    Horses for courses and all that.

  4. #84
    jnanian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    17,976
    Blog Entries
    12
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Some toners (mainly selenium) yes. I don't dump my selenium. I let it evaporate in a pan that becomes plated with selenium. Eventually I'll turn it in to a hazmat reclamation center. At this rate that will take decades. Metol, HQ and "silver rich fixer" - poppycock, and quantity does indeed matter. "Silver rich fixer" is only any concern at all because it's rich with silver ion - metallic silver is not a problem. And in practice, silver ion is not toxic in typical quantities in the typical waste water treatment system because it doesn't stay ion very long. There's plenty of reactive material and it quickly becomes metallic silver. Now if you're dumping a few gallons directly into a trout stream, I'll agree that's dangerous and irresponsible. Dumping it down the drain with sewage, nah.
    if you say so roger ...
    maybe you should look at your LOCAL regulations, before you start making broad statements.
    where i live discharge levels are 0, where i lived it was 0, where i lived before that was 0 ... and even 10 years before that ... 0
    (2 different states, 4 different towns/cities )

    if you look at the packaging that the photographer's formulary puts their kits in, they say something to the effect of -- dispose of properly or please return this photochemistry to us.

    If anything, this is a misconception on the part of digital folks, that film is so polluting.
    that is what i said to begin with

    another misconception is that film shooters claim most photochemistry is benign and that it is at all OK to just dump it down the drain...
    maybe in some places this is OK/true, but in a lot of places this is not OK/true at all ... and as i have said often it is best to find out from your local authorities what is OK and not OK to pour down the drain ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-26-2012 at 08:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  5. #85
    John Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    521
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Probably none. Why would you do this? It's a lot of trouble where it doesn't really return you anything.

    I, as I suspect most people here, do shoot some digital.

    Horses for courses and all that.
    It was a joke!!!!, as I typed already - I find literal reading of such a thought as silly as the proposition

  6. #86

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,066
    Images
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Metol, HQ and "silver rich fixer" - poppycock, and quantity does indeed matter. "Silver rich fixer" is only any concern at all because it's rich with silver ion - metallic silver is not a problem. And in practice, silver ion is not toxic in typical quantities in the typical waste water treatment system because it doesn't stay ion very long.
    At least here in Mass., the amount of fixer that can be legally put into a sewer system is exactly zero.
    "People get bumped off." -- Weegee

  7. #87
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,644
    I didn't sat it was necessarily legal; I said it wasn't very harmful. Those are two very different things.

  8. #88
    jnanian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    17,976
    Blog Entries
    12
    Images
    59
    ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-26-2012 at 08:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: nevermind, not worth the effort

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    607
    Most art pollutes. I'm in a painting class right now where we are using oil paint. Not only do we have the paint but also the medium we mix it with and the solvent to clean brushes. Every paper that touches any of the things must go in a hazmat container. On the lid of the two containers, it says to change every week I believe. A lot of the paints we use contain cadmium. But you don't see people who use acrylic bash people who use oils.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

    Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

    http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    103
    Just a bit about pollution and than back to topic: Do they really think that a little bit of chemical waste that a selective group of people (us APUG-ers) dispose in the sewer will distroy the world? And the chemicals we all (well not all, but a lot) use to clean the toilet, use to color our hair, nail remover etcetera doesn't effect the inviroment?
    Back on topic: I only had good responces when using an analogue camera. As a beginner I use a digital compact camera for composition and to get the general idea of what I'm going to do. After that I use the analogue camera. Sometimes someone asks why I use the "obsolete" analogue camera. That's when I show them two pictures. One made with a fairly good digital SLR, printed on good quality paper with a decent printer. Second picture made with the analogue SLR, printed at the local 35mm print shop. That's when they know why.
    However, in the modern world with computers, internet and digital cameras, many people want at some point to share their pictures online. So the pictures have to be digitalised at one point. Why not start from the origin and use a digital camera?
    It's all about what you want. Do you want instant satisfaction to share with the world or do you want to create and use light as a paintbrush?

    To end with a funny anecdote: our 2 1/2 year old daughter finds camera's intreguing, ever since she was one. When I take a picture with a digital camera, she always wants to see the result. Sometimes she wants another picture taken when she feels the previous picture isn't what she likes. A couple of months ago I used an analogue SLR. She wanted to see the result, but ofcourse there was nothing to see. "hmm, broken." she replied. "change batteries" she advised me. Right now she's got a toy (but fully operating) digital camera. I can't wait untill she's old enough to use the real thing.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin