Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,393   Online: 1088

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    On which thought, how many pix in the classified section were made with film and then scanned?

Some of them look like digipix to me - For that heresy I shall now. . .

Shooter
    35mm
    I never bother with film for a classifieds/eBay/etc shot because it just doesn't matter that much and archival issues are not a factor.
    I suspect most people are the same.
    That kinda thing or shots for email are the main thing I use my pocket digi for but one thing I love about it and use it for a LOT is EXIF data.
    Each location that I shoot on film I take a roughly framed digi shot so weeks later when I'm cataloging that film I can look up the date and rough time of that location and session. So much easier than remembering a notebook every time....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by derwent View Post
    I never bother with film for a classifieds/eBay/etc shot because it just doesn't matter that much and archival issues are not a factor.
    I suspect most people are the same.
    That kinda thing or shots for email are the main thing I use my pocket digi for but one thing I love about it and use it for a LOT is EXIF data.
    Each location that I shoot on film I take a roughly framed digi shot so weeks later when I'm cataloging that film I can look up the date and rough time of that location and session. So much easier than remembering a notebook every time....
    Like the classified thing was a joke, meaning not to be taken seriously!!!!

However, I do like your idea of using the EXIF data in addition to written notes - If anyone can teach me how to add voice to a digisnap I will put in N+- processing factors and direction as well as a voice over, that would be very useful, and a digicamera no bigger than a Ixus 70 that will also record UTM location ID

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some toners (mainly selenium) yes. I don't dump my selenium. I let it evaporate in a pan that becomes plated with selenium. Eventually I'll turn it in to a hazmat reclamation center. At this rate that will take decades. Metol, HQ and "silver rich fixer" - poppycock, and quantity does indeed matter. "Silver rich fixer" is only any concern at all because it's rich with silver ion - metallic silver is not a problem. And in practice, silver ion is not toxic in typical quantities in the typical waste water treatment system because it doesn't stay ion very long. There's plenty of reactive material and it quickly becomes metallic silver. Now if you're dumping a few gallons directly into a trout stream, I'll agree that's dangerous and irresponsible. Dumping it down the drain with sewage, nah.

If anything, this is a misconception on the part of digital folks, that film is so polluting.

I agree it's not the point of the thread, but I didn't bring it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    On which thought, how many pix in the classified section were made with film and then scanned?

Some of them look like digipix to me - For that heresy I shall now. . .
    Probably none. Why would you do this? It's a lot of trouble where it doesn't really return you anything.

I, as I suspect most people here, do shoot some digital. I have a 10 year old Nikon Coolpix 995 that I use for snapshots and quick records, especially if I need more quality than my iPhone can provide. I use it for photos of anything for sale. I toy with the idea of getting a decent DSLR, for two purposes: one, for family events and such, where film is not much if any better and I just get a huge backlog of negatives. I don't have time to print that much. I have stuff I shot of my fiance's family over a year ago and I just haven't had time to print them yet. Secondly, for very low light shooting. This is the one area where digital beats film handily. I do enjoy shooting TMZ and Delta 3200 in dim light, but when it gets really dim I could get better quality more quickly and easily with a DSLR.

Horses for courses and all that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Some toners (mainly selenium) yes. I don't dump my selenium. I let it evaporate in a pan that becomes plated with selenium. Eventually I'll turn it in to a hazmat reclamation center. At this rate that will take decades. Metol, HQ and "silver rich fixer" - poppycock, and quantity does indeed matter. "Silver rich fixer" is only any concern at all because it's rich with silver ion - metallic silver is not a problem. And in practice, silver ion is not toxic in typical quantities in the typical waste water treatment system because it doesn't stay ion very long. There's plenty of reactive material and it quickly becomes metallic silver. Now if you're dumping a few gallons directly into a trout stream, I'll agree that's dangerous and irresponsible. Dumping it down the drain with sewage, nah.
    if you say so roger ...
    maybe you should look at your LOCAL regulations, before you start making broad statements.
    where i live discharge levels are 0, where i lived it was 0, where i lived before that was 0 ... and even 10 years before that ... 0
    (2 different states, 4 different towns/cities )

if you look at the packaging that the photographer's formulary puts their kits in, they say something to the effect of -- dispose of properly or please return this photochemistry to us.

If anything, this is a misconception on the part of digital folks, that film is so polluting.
    that is what i said to begin with

another misconception is that film shooters claim most photochemistry is benign and that it is at all OK to just dump it down the drain...
    maybe in some places this is OK/true, but in a lot of places this is not OK/true at all ... and as i have said often it is best to find out from your local authorities what is OK and not OK to pour down the drain ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-26-2012 at 09:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Probably none. Why would you do this? It's a lot of trouble where it doesn't really return you anything.

I, as I suspect most people here, do shoot some digital.

Horses for courses and all that.
    It was a joke!!!!, as I typed already - I find literal reading of such a thought as silly as the proposition

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Metol, HQ and "silver rich fixer" - poppycock, and quantity does indeed matter. "Silver rich fixer" is only any concern at all because it's rich with silver ion - metallic silver is not a problem. And in practice, silver ion is not toxic in typical quantities in the typical waste water treatment system because it doesn't stay ion very long.
    At least here in Mass., the amount of fixer that can be legally put into a sewer system is exactly zero.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't sat it was necessarily legal; I said it wasn't very harmful. Those are two very different things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-26-2012 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: nevermind, not worth the effort

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin