Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,477   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I hate when people assume.

Just because I choose not to use digital, it doesn't mean that I can't shoot digital. I hate it when people make that assumption!

I just don't WANT to use digital cameras but, if you get right down to the nitty gritty, I can make better digital pictures than they can.
    I can do it with my 10 year old, 2 megapixel, dinged-up, dirty and partially busted point and shoot, pocket digicam, too!

Most people don't believe it until I pull out some old digital photos that I took and show them. I do other digital art, too.
    I use Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, GIMP and I use Blender to make 3-D art like Pixar.

A local fire department needed a new insignia for their uniforms so I designed one for them. The firefighters wear the patch that I designed on their uniforms, today.
    I have a patch in my portfolio book, right next to a full-page printout of the logo, printed from Adobe Illustrator.

I design logos and banners for peoples' websites and they pay me for it. I have copies of all those images, too.

I shoot and edit digital video and I make broadcast quality television advertisements, some of which have been shown on local TV.

My computer has a faster processor, more memory and better screens (two of them) than 90% of the people I know.

I LIKE digital multimedia. I LIKE computers and I use them all the time, virtually every day.

But it really p*sses me off when people think I can't do digital photography just because I choose to shoot film!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    I hate it when people assume too but in this case it doesn't seem to make sense. I am wondering what is so difficult about digital that a person who know how to use film camera can't use a digital camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Saying you can't shoot digital is like saying you can't use a cell phone. I can't image anyone thinking you don't know what your doing if your shooting film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This semester, when a student found out I don't shoot digital, said "So you're not a real photographer then?"

I politely and firmly corrected him (when I really wanted to squish him like a bug!).
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's like saying a person who drives a manual transmission car can't drive an automatic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's funny because I drive a stick shift, too!
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think some photographers shoot digital because they have no idea how to shoot film!! I've always said, you have to know what you're doing to get good results with film. With digital it's more or less trial and error and anyone can figure it out, but that still doesn't mean they know what an aperture or shutter speed is.

But all in all, the bottom line is you still gotta have an eye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amen brother.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think "eye" is as important as some people think.

I taught my 12 year old nephew about the rule of thirds. I drew a 3 by 3 grid on a piece of paper and told him to try not to put anything in the center square unless he thought it was important. I sent him away and told him not to come back until he shot up his roll of film using rule of thirds.

Damn! If he didn't come back with a whole bunch of really nice photos!

If I can teach a kid to do that, almost anybody can learn it.

Photography just ain't that hard if you put a little bit of thought and effort into it!

But, for some reason that escapes me, people seem to think it is and, for some reason that escapes me, people think digital photography is harder even though a monkey could do it.

I have such a hard time escaping the feeling that people really are THAT stupid!
    Randy S.

-----

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Not so may knobs,

Some digital cameras have more iknobs, iswitches and ithings than all my four view cameras put together - Having a camera with lots of switchy things obviously makes digi-photographers clever in the perception of these digi-photographers

What sometimes happens when I am working near people is that they see a big camera and ask how to get their Eos to behave itself, I take one look at it and shake my head in a cloud of unknowing - This only reinforces their belief in their superiority

Two years ago at Hamlyn Bay a pair of German tourists asked me to take their pic with their Eos - They looked at the result and said "You have talent" in a disbelieving way, as if an oldie with a film camera shouldn't have talent - Perhaps I don't, but don't tell me at this stage

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin