Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,345   Online: 1052

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Show us some, and we'll stop typing about turds.
    A really silly response, which just proves my point.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    The problem is, is that in this art form, and in some others there are two brain types exploring it.

The engineer type who likes toys, gadgets and the fondling of mechanical wonders as well as the analysis of technique to copy or achieve similar results. The art to him is the existence of these camera things, and lo and behold the damn thing can actually take pictures too.
    Sort of like two guys looking at a pretty girl. One wants to take her clothes off and jump her bones and the other one wants to take her clothes off and jump her bones. One just lies about it.

Hand up, waving madly... That be me Sir.

And we have the artsy fartsy types who are more interested in creating images and don't/can't deal with the mechanics at all. The camera thing is just a means to an end.
    Sort of like two guys looking at a pretty girl. One wants to take her clothes off and jump her bones and the other one wants to take her clothes off and jump her bones. One just lies about it.

That was a lot of my classmates at NESOP and most of the art/photography students when I worked in the darkroom at the University (where I was getting my engineering degree).

Then we have the people in between.

Runs the gamut from boriing to accomplished. The hardest to deal with artistically.

There is one constant in all these types.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    A really silly response, which just proves my point.
    You stated that the discussion was to be "about art, artistic ability, and artistic integrity". I responded, "show us some, and we'll stop typing about turds".

Don't take my comment out of context. It was and is a very apt comparison.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post

Hand up, waving madly... That be me Sir.

That was a lot of my classmates at NESOP and most of the art/photography students when I worked in the darkroom at the University (where I was getting my engineering degree).

Runs the gamut from boriing to accomplished. The hardest to deal with artistically.

There is one constant in all these types.

tim in san jose
    Tim- you're forgetting option #3 - Two guys look at a pretty girl, but decide to jump each others' bones instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Tim- you're forgetting option #3 - Two guys look at a pretty girl, but decide to jump each others' bones instead.
    That happens a lot out here.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    I think the level of contribution to this thread has now become a quite accurate indicator of the people posting the comments and really has little to do with the photographers or artists mentioned.

The number of references to bodily waste is distasteful and demonstrates a low level of intellect. That in turn indicates that the posters have nothing of value to contribute to what was supposed to be a discussion about art, artistic ability and artistic integrity.

This is a photographic forum, not a school toilet wall.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master — that's all."

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again.

"They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No wonder they shoved the arrogant prick off the wall.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 04-13-2012 at 10:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    While some of you are gleefully dancing on Kinkade's virtual grave, his estate's sales have skyrocketed.
    Kinkade's sudden death boosts Napa gallery sales

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's one born every minute.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    There's one born every minute.
    No, they've stepped up production. At least three per minute.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin