Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,581   Posts: 1,622,054   Online: 992

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    While some of you are gleefully dancing on Kinkade's virtual grave, his estate's sales have skyrocketed.
    Kinkade's sudden death boosts Napa gallery sales
    I see strong opinions, but not glee. And I doubt anyone is surprised at the increase in sales.

He apparently drank himself to death at age 54, after enduring years of criticism and a split from his wife. Not a pleasant way to live or die.

http://news.yahoo.com/brother-painte...135057680.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    While some of you are gleefully dancing on Kinkade's virtual grave, his estate's sales have skyrocketed.
    Kinkade's sudden death boosts Napa gallery sales
    $200,000.????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

OMG. Hilarious.

Why not just buy a paint by number and save yourself $199,980.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ah, the gentle art of jumping bones
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All too often, the consequences of our words and actions are not fully realized nor understood until it is too late to take them back or remedy them. The man is dead and many continue to ridicule him. If his actions paralleled Adolph Hitler then, yeah, we would surely speak poorly of the man. But... he was a harmless artist, not a cold and evil murderer. Why not either speak well of him or keep quiet? His family is listening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    All too often, the consequences of our words and actions are not fully realized nor understood until it is too late to take them back or remedy them. The man is dead and many continue to ridicule him. If his actions paralleled Adolph Hitler then, yeah, we would surely speak poorly of the man. But... he was a harmless artist, not a cold and evil murderer. Why not either speak well of him or keep quiet? His family is listening.
    A good argument to give some consideration to what one does while alive, then. I have no opinion about the man other than his life ended sadly for him and his family.

His paintings sucked and sucked hard, and his business model (sell crap that makes the buyer feel good no matter how little merit it has, and make a bundle for yourself doing it) does not inspire respect. His work and his business unfortunately live on, and his gallery is taking in more than ever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E. von H. ... If the man's work made people "feel good"... what more can one ask of his art? Others' "opinions" of one's work is meaningless when the artist gave so much "happiness" to so many others. How many of us "critics" can claim that much influence on our fellow people's hearts? I don't get it. It sounds more like jealousy, egotism and repeated none-sense from other jealous less successful artists than knowledge and skill. For the record, I never cared much for his work but I recognize the happiness he spread to the populous and I'm not jealous of that. Envious... yeah, probably a bit... but I respect the happiness he spread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heroin makes you feel good, too. Just because it makes you feel good doesn't make it good for you.
    And Hitler was nice to his dog. He couldn't have been all bad, then, according to your logic.
    And no painting has ever made anyone other than the artist who painted it truly happy.

His work had no merit other than to make him a fortune. It didn't even make him happy. Very sad.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    He never held a gun to someone's head and made them buy his stuff. His work was kistchy, but people bought it of their own free will. Hell, my wife has one, much to my dismay. Though his very early work, which isn't seen much, nor sold, is relatively good in the vein of French impressionism. Nothing new or original, but better than the stuff he is known for.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    He never held a gun to someone's head and made them buy his stuff. His work was kistchy, but people bought it of their own free will. Hell, my wife has one, much to my dismay. Though his very early work, which isn't seen much, nor sold, is relatively good in the vein of French impressionism. Nothing new or original, but better than the stuff he is known for.
    So he had some talent and some skill, which he sold out for money.

Money didn't make him happy, nor did the criticism of his work, so he drank to self medicate. Actually he drank because he was an alcoholic, and for no other reason. But the bartered integrity didn't help.
    There's a lesson to learn from. Not that crap he sold.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 04-14-2012 at 01:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin