Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,371   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is the weirdest thing; not a month ago I had a conference by Neil McWilliam (a professor at Duke) on Kinkade, in one of my PhD seminars.

He just got interested by Kinkade, since when you're doing the social history of art, this is pretty much the most interesting subject you can have. Best-seller, crazy pricing scheme, dubious sales tactics, public urination, the works!

Most people tend to forget that studying art also eventually requires one to look at something else than good art. Bad art is the dark matter of Art History: invisible, yet skewing its gravitational field.

Oh, and I'll be the first to wager that Kinkade's not dead: he just found a way to sell his wares for more money:
    "Today has been unbelievable," said Richard Smith, who owns Kinkade Signature galleries in Pismo Beach and Solvang on the central coast. "It's sad. I can't control what happens in life, but as far as sales go, this has been our biggest selling day in history, and I've been running galleries for 20 years."
    http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-...-years-surface

Christian painter dies during Easter? I don't know...
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 04-08-2012 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say he's pretty much unknown outside the USA. I only became aware of him in recent times. It was also quite recently that I read about another very successful business that sells little model houses covered in snow. Both seem to be tapping into the same nostalgic fantasy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    when i saw that he died i knew there was going to be a RUN on his galleries.
    over the years, his work has really made me think about art and commerce,
    and there really doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anne Geddes, William Wegman and (the late) Thomas Kinkade are all "artists" in the same vein. Populist schlock masquerading as art. Well marketed schlock, but schlock nonetheless. They all are (or in Kinkade's case, were) technically proficient, but there's really no "soul" in any the work they've done.

I had to revisit Anne Geddes's work. This stuff says a lot about America's taste in "Art".
    Except that Anne Geddes isn't necessarily an American phenomenon. She's an Aussie living and working in New Zealand. Schlock is an international phenomenon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    so if "art" is purchased and liked by millions it is schlock,
    because it has commercial appeal ?

i am not sure why ansel adams isn't put in the same basket as geddes, wegman and kinkade
    he "sold-out" as much as they did and i see just as much "soul" in their work as in his ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-08-2012 at 10:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Adams work isn't kitsch and is tasteful. Kinkade's paintings look like badly done HDR photos put into a blender with fairy dust and oil paint. They are way over the top in theme. To compare himself to master artists is a crime. People speak of his realistic style, however, there is nothing realistic about his style at all and it certainly does not resemble what is known as realism.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i don't see that kinkade is any less of an artist than adams ... maybe more-so ...
    adams was a technical photographer, he photographed scenes infront of him and manipulated
    the film and paper to create his photographs, kinkade used his imagination and created from scratch
    with brushes and paints ...

both are heavily commercialized, owned by tens of millions of people turned in to puzzles, cards, calenders &c
    you don't think heavy manipulation and filtration is the same thing as putting in a blender with fairy dust and oil paint ?

adams was just as over the top in many ways as you claim kinkade to be, the only difference is
    that adams is canonized as "one of the patron saints of black and white photography" and no one dare say anything bad about him ...
    and kinkade is an easy target because he had hundreds of retail shops in malls, instead of selling originals he sold affordable prints, and
    he didn't pay 50% commission to a gallery owner ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-08-2012 at 11:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    so if "art" is purchased and liked by millions it is schlock,
    because it has commercial appeal ?

i am not sure why ansel adams isn't put in the same basket as geddes, wegman and kinkade
    he "sold-out" as much as they did and i see just as much "soul" in their work as in his ...
    To each their own I suppose.

I think there's a vast distance between what Ansel did versus what Kinkade and Co. have done. Much of Ansel "as a commodity" came later in his career and even more after his death. I'm sure that Geddes and Wegman really do put forward a product that they tend feel good about, so at least there's a certain earnestness to it. Do I think they put out schlock? Yes, though it may be high quality schlock. Kinkade is another order of magnitude though. A raging drunk, a fraud (look into the history of his gallery franchises) and a purveyor of schlock. I think that Geddes and Wegman have it in them produce work of higher caliber. I don't think that the same could be said of Kinkade (were he still alive).

In the end, even if millions of people buy and like something it can still be schlock. How many people bought and liked the "Velvet Elvis" paintings? If that isn't schlock I don't know what is.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Kinkade = Adams? I have heard of stranger things, but not in a long while...LOL!

To each their own opinion!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And just to put a fine point on it...

I'm not saying that it's the quantity that makes it schlock. It's the quality.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin