Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,594   Online: 938

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Also this begs the question was AA (or you) totally color blind? B&W photography is one major step beyond what any of us see/shoot.
    Adams did a good bit of photography in color. However, it just wasn't his bag, as it were. There was a pretty hefty book published awhile ago title, "Ansel Adams in Color." Decent photographs, but nothing really spectacular. I suspect that he just didn't pursue it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Reading many of these sour grapes posts referencing AA, I would simply suggest that it would at least be wise to spend some time actually reading about the man and his art before categorizing and judging him. There is one autobiography as well as the book "Letters...". And then spend some time in the Sierra Nevada, away from the burger joints.
    sour grapes ?

i hope it isn't me you are referring to.

i have read quite a bit about him, i have no way to get to the sierra nevadas, and really don't
    know why i need to put my tripod in his holes and see the sights he saw to have an opinion
    of the work he produced. if i could get away from my obligations
    to go there, it wouldn't really change my mind about "the grand landscape".
    i can understand why a lot of people LOVE his work, to each their own

...i am more interested in the landscape photographers in the 1800s who had massive obstacles
    to overcome in order to be able to get to remote areas on foot or horse and photograph something for the first time
    using a process that was quite different than modern photography ... it isn't "the view" that interests me
    it is what they had to do to make the photographs that interests me more.

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-09-2012 at 07:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Adams did a good bit of photography in color. However, it just wasn't his bag, as it were. There was a pretty hefty book published awhile ago title, "Ansel Adams in Color." Decent photographs, but nothing really spectacular. I suspect that he just didn't pursue it.
    Not quite my point -- just the simple point that if we photograph and print in B&W, then we are not photographing just what we see...thus seemingly weakening Tim in San Jose's point that AA's manipulation during printing drastically changed "what he saw".

I find John's position on AA to be an extreme one (that AA = Kinkade as artists). And as with any extremist, his view helps in defining a middle path...as do the extremists who would award AA with sainthood. Argueing with extremists can be entertaining, but rather fruitless, since a good arguement or debate requires the use of logic and the ability (and willingness) to understand the other's POV. .
    Last edited by Vaughn; 04-09-2012 at 09:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "The World is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks"A little wisdom from HCB.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    "The World is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks"A little wisdom from HCB.
    And poets making poems about love, and writers writing stories about the soul, and musicians writing songs to move the spirit. HCB needed to chill.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    Yes, but I believe HBC was in Europe at the time and Adams and Weston were in Big Sur.

Perspectives often differ due to location.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adams certainly knew how to market himself much as Kinkade did, I will not contest this. You said something about Adams posters. Though they do exist online I have yet to see Ansel Adams coffee mugs, puzzles, mousepads and decorative plates in any brick and mortar stores or on the Ansel Adams gallery site. However, I have seen Kinkade on all these things pretty much everywhere that sells home decor.
    Here you go.

http://www.zazzle.com/lake_ritter_ga...07025476921140

http://www.zazzle.com/ansel+adams+mugs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading all the responses since I first responded has given me much food for thought, but reading over what I wrote earlier, I still feel the same way. So, I guess I know too much about Adams that I can't help but feel the seriousness of work. Whether Kinkade was cynical or not, I don't know, but like I said, I can't help but feel cynical when I kook at his outpouring. I knew Lisette Model, and she thought AA's work was boring. I'd never heard anyone say that before, but after that remark, I was never able to look at his work with the dewy eyed admiration I had prior to that. But I just saw a large Moonrise at the AIPAD show and I lingered and I found myself becoming entranced.

Some of the remarks about gallery art and art for the masses are very interesting, but that's an old conundrum that will always be with us. There is a polarity in all the arts, whether it's Ogden Nash and Sylvia Plath, Kenny G and Coltrane, or Kinkade and Odd Nurdrum.

I'll take Nurdrum over Kinkade, The Parke-Harrisons over Adams, (and Hendrix over Clapton). There's an audience for everything. And selling work isn't selling out. I just bought new supplies from a print sale. Making work with the main intention of selling it, that's selling out.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Read further in my post. I didn't say they don't exist. I am saying that I have no seen them in shops however I am aware that they can be found online. My point was that such objects are not nearly as prevalent as with Kinkade.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hadn't heard about his passing until now. Did he go toward the light?

Too soon?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin