Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,733   Online: 974

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I hadn't heard about his passing until now. Did he go toward the light?

Too soon?
    I'd say more like he circled the drain one time too many and was flushed with the turd and the paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you gild a turd, sell it for a huge price and get people to wax idiotic about it's percieved "virtues", guess what? It's still a turd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I hadn't heard about his passing until now. Did he go toward the light?

Too soon?
    Best reply yet, this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    He was sort of a contradiction because he was part of F64 which was the antithesis to the pictorialists or romanticism he wished to replace. I think they saw their work as realism.

The irony is that his work is not really realism but maybe hyper-realism which could be described as a form of romanticism of a particular scene.
    That's why Berenice Abbott, among the few to call shenanigans on the Straight's fight against Pictorialism, called Adams, Weston, and the later Stieglitz "Super-Pictorialists", in the sense that they exhibited the same amount of print fetishism than Mortensen.

The main difference between f/64 and Pictorialism is the kind of painting they associate with. The former with Clement Greenberg-championed flat, geometrical modernism; the latter with late 19th C. Symbolist or pre-Raphaelite paintings.

It's my hope that in future histories of photography, "straight" photography stops being seen as a break from Pictorialism, but rather like a competing school with similar aesthetic values.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard on my local NPR station in Sacramento that the original Thomas Kinkade gallery in Placerville sold one of his paintings for $150K. I think there are better investments in art. I'll bet the poor investor didn't do well investing in Beanie Babies so he or she decided to invest in a Kinkade.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    That's why Berenice Abbott, among the few to call shenanigans on the Straight's fight against Pictorialism, called Adams, Weston, and the later Stieglitz "Super-Pictorialists", in the sense that they exhibited the same amount of print fetishism than Mortensen.

The main difference between f/64 and Pictorialism is the kind of painting they associate with. The former with Clement Greenberg-championed flat, geometrical modernism; the latter with late 19th C. Symbolist or pre-Raphaelite paintings.

It's my hope that in future histories of photography, "straight" photography stops being seen as a break from Pictorialism, but rather like a competing school with similar aesthetic values.
    +1
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    If you gild a turd, sell it for a huge price and get people to wax idiotic about it's percieved "virtues", guess what? It's still a turd.
    If Damien Hirst http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml produces it it will end up in the Tate Modern, or the National Gallery then sell for millions.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got an idea - I'll gild one of my own, and sell it to the Tate Modern claiming it is in fact Damien Hurst's own turd...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I've got an idea - I'll gild one of my own, and sell it to the Tate Modern claiming it is in fact Damien Hurst's own turd...
    What are you Scott, some sort of a ventriloquist ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But isn't he one already? He kills animals in the name of art and profit.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-...cruelty-460109

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin