Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 730

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    +1
    +2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm.. stirring things up a bit.

I have studied Photo history (at NESOP), have read all of AA's books, have read about the manipulation he and his darkroom workers used to pull a print out, I have spent a fair amount of time (but not enough lately for my satisfaction) in Yosemite and the mid-Sierras, I guess I know a bit about what I am talking about...

I see in tone values, not black and white, and I think in layers of gray.

Doesn't mean I have to like AA's work. But then again, I got thrown out of a Gallery in Santa Fe last winter for expressing what I really thought of their featured photographer's use of red filters for every damned photograph.

Some like it, some don't. I like my landscapes a bit more real... I guess you could call me a yellow filter kind of art aficionado.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Fair enough. I am more of a no filter guy (especially with T-max). There have been a few times, though, when I thought afterwards, "should have used my yellow filter".

Tossed out of a gallery, huh? That says a lot! I manage to keep my opinions to myself in that type of situations -- sometimes one has to remember that one is not on a forum instead of a place of business...tough for me to do sometimes, like when I stopped by Galen Rowell's gallery in Bishop, CA a little while back!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Galen Rowell was another person with a camera with more marketing skill than artistic vision. There was always the "oooh" factor when you found out exactly what he did to get the shots he got (like dangling upside down off the side of a cliff while manipulating his color ND grad filters that he was so fond of). Amazing technician. But he's up there with Michael Fatali in the excessive manipulation of color (although he never did set fire to a national landmark) and excessive deployment of ego in the name of marketing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Extremist Turdography

Further reading, for those of you with a healthy skepticism towards Kinkade's "art." here and here . The latter is a hilarious slide show of parodies of kinkade's work.

Milan Kundera reportedly said that "kitsch" (which I among others consider Kinkade to be a paragon of) "is the absolute denial of shit." So this talk of gilded turds is pretty appropriate in the context of Kinkade vs. Damien Hirsch and/or one of his co-darlings of the art establishment, Andres Serrano, whose Piss Christ and other excrement-related works you can read about if you feel like typing a google search. What I think differentiates these artists from Kinkade -- and maybe even from Ansel Adams -- is the seriousness of aesthetic intention, the struggle with artistic meaning, and the courage of breaking new aesthetic ground. I don't believe Adams or Kinkade had a real struggle with any of the above.

But I love looking at Adams's photographs; Kinkade's pictures make me want to barf.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Galen Rowell was another person with a camera with more marketing skill than artistic vision. There was always the "oooh" factor when you found out exactly what he did to get the shots he got (like dangling upside down off the side of a cliff while manipulating his color ND grad filters that he was so fond of). Amazing technician. But he's up there with Michael Fatali in the excessive manipulation of color (although he never did set fire to a national landmark) and excessive deployment of ego in the name of marketing.
    I definitely agree with you on Rowell, but I'm not sure he actually considered himself to be or marketed himself as a true artist. Maybe he did, but he is an Adams-ite from top to bottom (the "oooh" factor you speak of.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    I definitely agree with you on Rowell, but I'm not sure he actually considered himself to be or marketed himself as a true artist. Maybe he did, but he is an Adams-ite from top to bottom (the "oooh" factor you speak of.
    One needs to separate the man (as a climber and photographer) from his wife -- and her (justified) needs to have income to support the family (and to support his desire to be out there).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm picking up a lot of tips on this thread,and to think I almost overlooked it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    I'm picking up a lot of tips on this thread,and to think I almost overlooked it!
    You mean like how to dangle from cliffs with neutral density filters for some crazy shot?

No thanks. *L*

tim
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    #1: Velvia or Ektar.
    #2: Lee ND filter set, and get the Singh-Ray filters, too.
    #3: Enhancing filter. Make sure you also shoot a roll without that filter, because it can really put the scene "over the top."
    #4: Sun rises at 5am. Be there.
    #5: Sun sets at 8pm. Be there.
    #6: Aim the camera lens at something with saturated color. If nature didn't provide something, put something there.
    #7: Sell it! Promotion is everything.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin