Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,272   Posts: 1,534,537   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thomas Kinkade's death

I also posted this question to my Facebook friends.

I think yesterday was in day interesting day in the world of art. Thomas Kinkade died. I'm wondering how art historians will view his work 50 years from now? Will his art be viewed and an artifact of fine art or just an artifact of American consumerism and American taste? Is he just a misunderstood artist and it will take time for current art institutions to come around and appreciate his contribution to the world of art?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think he'll always remain the Anne Geddes of landscape painters.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm wondering how their attitudes toward his art change 10 years from now.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm wondering how their attitudes toward his art change 10 years from now.
    That will depend on if the family maintains the galleries and follows the same sort of marketing plan as the family of Galen Rowell. Sell the backlog of "originals", then make inkjet reproductions ad nauseam...

If the family does, then I do not foresee any attitude change in the near or distant future.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I also posted this question to my Facebook friends.

I think yesterday was in day interesting day in the world of art. Thomas Kinkade died. I'm wondering how art historians will view his work 50 years from now? Will his art be viewed and an artifact of fine art or just an artifact of American consumerism and American taste? Is he just a misunderstood artist and it will take time for current art institutions to come around and appreciate his contribution to the world of art?
    It's easily, perhaps justifiably,rejected as kitsch. Still, people who like his work are usually effusive about what they like about it. That, to me, shows a willingness to think about and analyze graphic art if only in highly personal terms. The trick is to move them along to looking things that are more ambiguous, abstract and challenging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    If the family does, then I do not foresee any attitude change in the near or distant future.
    Could be... or it could stay the same even if his family does nothing at all. Attitudes are fairly well established by artists, art critics, and art buyers... and those attitudes seem to be very different. For the millions of people with his work over their couches I suspect that art will stay in place for quite a while. I wonder more about the "value" in the secondary market and how that will change. I doubt it will soar soon, if ever.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Brian, my thought was that some of the negative attitude (but not all of course) was due to jealousy and distaste for his marketing plan (and its success). After all, how dare someone make a bunch of money outside of the established art circles!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally don't like his work but in all honesty he is one of the most important American artists of the 20th century. His work might not be sold in high art galleries but a lot of his work is hanging in living rooms making people smile or feel good. His work says more about the public art taste of 20th and early 21st century than any work by any other contemporary artist save Anne Geddes. Art critics and artist might dislike him but he created art for the masses as opposed to art for a few.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    That, to me, shows a willingness to think about and analyze graphic art if only in highly personal terms.
    I didn't know that you could look at, or be affected by, art in any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The trick is to move them along to looking things that are more ambiguous, abstract and challenging.
    Herding cats. Cats with thick wallets. As mentioned upthread, his popularity does say a lot about American culture, and I'm dismayed by the message. (Poster gets points for making me retch with "Anne Geddes". Good work.)

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Kinkade had the marketing thing down! You have to give him that..

I had to revisit Anne Geddes's work. This stuff says a lot about America's taste in "Art".

http://www.pbpulse.com/arts-and-cult...ne-simplicity/
    Last edited by achromat; 04-08-2012 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin