Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,575   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CCW stands for CARRY CONCEALED WEAPON. In San Diego County they are issued through the Sheriff's office and they have some pretty strict requirements. Even retired law enforcement officers, in California, are required to reapply every 5 years to retain their ability to carry (if they want it to apply to all 50 states they must also pass a qualify shoot).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Nelson View Post
    CCW stands for CARRY CONCEALED WEAPON.
    Oh. That's the last thing I want!

Quote Originally Posted by Tori Nelson View Post
    if they want it to apply to all 50 states they must also pass a qualify shoot.
    Shouldn't that be a requirement for anyone anywhere who wants a gun?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    I thought it meant 'counter-clockwise'. Widdershins for the analog life.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a bit easier here as you are not technically trespassing until the owner of the land/building has asked you to leave and you have refused.
    Even if it's an abandoned building surrounded by a six-foot fence topped with razor wire? If you get caught in the wire, are they also obliged to leave you there so they don't interfere with you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's an ethical question rather than a legal one. It is however the owner's responsibility if someone is hurt either on razor wire or elsewhere on the property as property owners have a duty of care to anyone on their property - even those un-invited guests!

However, if it's surrounded by a six foot fence (or locked doors) and you have to break something to get in, the law of 'Breaking and Entering' comes into play which is separate from trespass.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... However, if it's surrounded by a six foot fence (or locked doors) and you have to break something to get in, the law of 'Breaking and Entering' comes into play which is separate from trespass.

Steve.
    Steve,
    You are right. I have been Talked Too by the locals about what Breaking and Entering is when I wander into a building. Something I do not do very often.

Earlier in the thread there was mention about trying to show areas like Detroit in a more favorable light. That really does sound like a bigger challenge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow. I wish I lived in England. haha. I love exploring and shooting abandoned places. It would be awesome to be able to do so without having to worry about being caught by the police but then again that is part of the excitement. I haven't gone outside of PA but I would like to. I hear MA is filled with creepy abandoned places.

Shooter
    35mm

Steve.
    I thought it meant 'counter-clockwise'. Widdershins for the analog life.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I guess I am just too darn ethical in regard to trespass signs and too protective of my physical well-being to indulge in serious exploration. I am fascinated by old decaying industrial buildings and infrastructure, but I have seen stamped steel industrial stair treads that were completely rusted through. So when you walk into a building that has seen no use, and maybe no maintenance, for decades, you quite literally take your life in your hands. It surprising in fact how fast some stuff deteriorates, especially when there is no longer HVAC operating.

There was an incident a year or so back near here where a roofing contractor VP was up on the roof of an old boiler house at a private school, instructing two workers on what they were to do on a repair project. As they surveyed the scene, a section of the roof collapsed into a former coal bin. The VP, wearing no safety gear ("the boss"), died from his injuries. The workers had life lines and protective gear on and one of them, though he fell, at least survived, albeit with some injuries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Steve,
    You are right. I have been Talked Too by the locals about what Breaking and Entering is when I wander into a building. Something I do not do very often.

Earlier in the thread there was mention about trying to show areas like Detroit in a more favorable light. That really does sound like a bigger challenge.
    Lee, I think I may have been on one of those shoots with you.

I recall someone mentioning that the best disguise for getting past the locals on an outing such as this is an orange vest, white hard hat, and a clipboard.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin