Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,673   Online: 768

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xdielanx View Post
    I hear MA is filled with creepy abandoned places.
    That's just what we tell tourists. Then we charge 'em $20 for the bus ride out to see them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    I recall someone mentioning that the best disguise for getting past the locals on an outing such as this is an orange vest, white hard hat, and a clipboard.
    Perhaps a reversible jacket. Camouflage on one side, fluorescent orange on the other.

It is often suggested that if you want to photograph un-noticed in a busy town, wear a high visibility jacket and put your camera on a bright yellow surveyor's tripod. Camouflage doesn't always mean blending in with the background.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sometimes we're blind to the risk when following where our deathboxes lead us. I suppose any war photographer would tell us that.

The lure of death and the camera's inherent attraction to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grand Central in Detroit? Wouldn't go in there unless you are with a group of people, well equipped with firearms.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Yes, I guess I am just too darn ethical in regard to trespass signs and too protective of my physical well-being to indulge in serious exploration. I am fascinated by old decaying industrial buildings and infrastructure, but I have seen stamped steel industrial stair treads that were completely rusted through. So when you walk into a building that has seen no use, and maybe no maintenance, for decades, you quite literally take your life in your hands. It surprising in fact how fast some stuff deteriorates, especially when there is no longer HVAC operating.

There was an incident a year or so back near here where a roofing contractor VP was up on the roof of an old boiler house at a private school, instructing two workers on what they were to do on a repair project. As they surveyed the scene, a section of the roof collapsed into a former coal bin. The VP, wearing no safety gear ("the boss"), died from his injuries. The workers had life lines and protective gear on and one of them, though he fell, at least survived, albeit with some injuries.

I see you are from SE PA. There are some interesting places that aren't too dangerous. I live outside of Reading and I went with a group of friends the the Linfield Idustrial Park which is located maybe a mile away from the Limerick Power Plant. No dangerous paths or fences. It is just something else to walk among all of the old abandoned warehouse buildings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see you are from SE PA. There are some interesting places that aren't too dangerous. I live outside of Reading and I went with a group of friends the the Linfield Idustrial Park which is located maybe a mile away from the Limerick Power Plant. No dangerous paths or fences. It is just something else to walk among all of the old abandoned warehouse buildings.

Yes, the Schuylkill River Trail, ex-Pennsylvania RR line, passes next to or through an assortment of rust belt remnants. Among other things I've followed the demolition of the massive Armorcast plant in Birdsboro, now pretty well gone. (But I didn't attempt to go inside!) There's even older stuff around too that's pretty accessible, such as Lock Ridge Furnace and the cement kilns in Coplay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    not quite the same as abandoned warehouses or factories ..
    but the friend of a friend of mine's dad who was an ardent urban explorer. he used to scavenge historically significant remnants
    from historic buildings that were going to be razed ... and he was killed on site ...

i've never been in situations where parts of the building were falling in, but i have been in sites where the floors had huge breaches
    and squatters + pilferers had smashed thousands of fluorescent light bulbs so beryllium dust was all over the place, and they had stolen tens of thousands
    of dollars worth of copper ... it was a good time !

i usually get permission from the owners, and have i have insurance ( i do this sort of thing for work )

i would suggest without hesitation that before people do this sort of thing, they get up to date on their tetanus-shots ... lockjaw is kind of a drag..

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    PetaPixel: Time-Lapse Journey into an Abandoned Asylum Created with 35,000 Photos
    Beware the inspiration!

I go into abandoned buildings when I'm out in the countryside, but it's nothing like what's in the city. Usually it's just and old house from the 1850s or something like that, not an industrial site with crazies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Yes, the Schuylkill River Trail, ex-Pennsylvania RR line, passes next to or through an assortment of rust belt remnants. Among other things I've followed the demolition of the massive Armorcast plant in Birdsboro, now pretty well gone. (But I didn't attempt to go inside!) There's even older stuff around too that's pretty accessible, such as Lock Ridge Furnace and the cement kilns in Coplay.
    Armorcast was one of my favorite places to go. I've lived in birdsboro since I was 12 and spent most of my weekends in high school either exploring or just hanging out there. I even broke my foot playing airsoft there when I was 17. Its a shame its gone now. Even going in the last couple months before it was torn wasnt the same with everything gutted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I hear MA is filled with creepy abandoned places.
    the state hospital system is pretty much abandoned ... i have documented one of those buildings
    (in downtown boston ) it was pretty creepy, and it felt like i was being followed around the whole time. i got the same
    feeling at a machine tool company in vermont. that place was .5miles long ...
    ... the harbor islands are filled with abandoned-stuff (internment camps, fortresses, battlements and other stuffs )
    lots of old mill and factory ruins up and down the blackstone river ... whole abandoned villages...
    there used to be an abandoned power-station for a factory on the edge of cambridge
    we used to sneak in when we were in college ... a huge drop into a cavern in the middle of the floor
    where equipment used to sleep, broken windows everywhere so the light shone all
    ecclesiastical ... almost like an industrial version of le corbusier's la chapelle de ronchamp

a lot has been renovated now ... the go-go 90s and first few years of the 00's were big years to renovate + re-use.

i knew some people that lived in an old distillery, the molasses vat in the floor was
    always a good time
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-14-2012 at 10:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin