Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,448   Online: 891

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Interesting, didn't know thise existed, even if not quite ready for prime time given the reviews at that page. The Z230E PoGo looks interesting too, if a bit smaller.

The primary reason my daughter wants to use the Polaroid camera though is to avoid any editing, thinking, and/or chimping, she simply doesn't want that distraction or temptation on her trip; just compose, shoot, pull, & paste. HCB would be proud of her.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Seems to combine the worst features of various technologies into one barely workable package. Initial and lasting reaction is--WTF?

True. But lets face it Polaroid was never the greatest of quality and was a "hit" in most cases just for the fun factor of the instant picture.

Although the negative in "665" ??? forget the number??? was kind of cool.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wasn't there a digital camera that output directly to print pics more than 10 years ago?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to disagree....

First of all, this site represents a fraction of the true talent out there using film to cutting edge effect, so you can't just take the posts on here as the totality of the medium. I know plenty of great guitar players who like acoustic over electric and none of them choose the Martin over a Les Paul due to a silly thing like nostalgia.

There are plenty of people with cameras who either shoot digital or film who get SOOOO caught up in the tools that the notion of a fluid connection with personal vision is utterly absent from any image they make, far too many in my opinion actually. But it is the constant bickering of one being better than the other or nostalgia around film sadly resulting in boring as hell photographs that is off putting to most who would otherwise like to just flat out see a great image, regardless of how it was arrived at.

I think my D800 is truly the first digital camera I have used in my 20 span in the medium that could conclude my use of film if it ever came to blows....it is *that* good. But I have a different journey in mind, a different branding to my life that I want to both continue with, promote and share with people, in that not only does the final image matter, but like life, the journey, how you arrive there can matter too....

A photographer with both brilliant raw talent and a level of patience to master any medium can at this point in time, choose a number of mediums and journeys in which to arrive at his final image....and this has not a thing to do with nostalgia.

For example, I am going to start using 4x5 in my black and white work. If I find in using it I am unable to fully connect with my vision or I bring nothing new to the table, I will pass on it even though many wax poetic about it having better tonality and sharpness, being "Better" than any digital camera ( what a load of BS if your image is boring ).

Rant over...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rant over...

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are welcome, glad you set the record straight on this thread...

I mean, this has just GOT to be you, right, LOL!!!!

Seriously, why are you targeting me again lately?....it reeks....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 04-29-2012 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    This Zink stuff looks very interesting to me. If I were a venture investor with venture money, I would examine this stuff very closely.
    If the colours are stable this can be used also for document headshots. I can imagine the reduction in maintenance for automatic machines, for instance.

The Polaroid-branded camera is also somehow very interesting, as one can easily see the appeal it can have when immediacy of results is more important than quality, as it was for old time Polaroid cameras.

It can probably even help a future resurgence of analogue photography, if it can re-acquaint people with paper copies of photographs and the idea that a photograph is something that you keep in your hands, or in your wallet, or on your desk.

I find it very interesting not just as an industrial innovation in printing, but specifically as something new in the realm of photography, broadly intended.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    This Zink stuff looks very interesting to me. If I were a venture investor with venture money, I would examine this stuff very closely.
    If the colours are stable this can be used also for document headshots. I can imagine the reduction in maintenance for automatic machines, for instance.

The Polaroid-branded camera is also somehow very interesting, as one can easily see the appeal it can have when immediacy of results is more important than quality, as it was for old time Polaroid cameras.

It can probably even help a future resurgence of analogue photography, if it can re-acquaint people with paper copies of photographs and the idea that a photograph is something that you keep in your hands, or in your wallet, or on your desk.

I find it very interesting not just as an industrial innovation in printing, but specifically as something new in the realm of photography, broadly intended.
    Assume as a "venture investor with venture money," you'd be looking for some losses here to put against income from elsewhere. The product didn't get much traction--you fill in the blanks as to why. The vastly cheaper Fuji Instax seems to deliver the "Polaroid" experience with less fuss.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post

This is what I thought when I saw the preview, but it's been out months and I've not seen any adverts or heard a single person mention it. I'd truly like to have seen this take off, but it's just not affordable enough... for a piece of nostalgia.

People can't put physical images on Facebook, the targeted demographic has no place for prints. The 18-30 world depends on an efficient system of instant gratification which cannot be interupted by such repulsive concepts as images on paper. I almost feel a little sorry for them trying to recreate a market for an age bracket which, quite frankly, doesn't give a shit about anything that can't get them more friend requests. Expect riots, online movements and the hacking of major businesses if this socially disruptive nod to the past ever takes off.

That isn't to say I don't want one.
    Last edited by batwister; 04-30-2012 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin