Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,788   Online: 1000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't even try to photograph unless there is a project/reason to do so. But let's make sure that we are talking about a project here. Subject, plan, deadline for completion all are requirements for a project. Open ended projects are not projects.

The relevant quote here is from one of those home improvement shows. Went something like, "if you don't display your "collection", it's just junk." Same thing for your photographs. It isn't a project unless you have definite plans to finish it.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka
    I don't even try to photograph unless there is a project/reason to do so. But let's make sure that we are talking about a project here. Subject, plan, deadline for completion all are requirements for a project. Open ended projects are not projects.

The relevant quote here is from one of those home improvement shows. Went something like, "if you don't display your "collection", it's just junk." Same thing for your photographs. It isn't a project unless you have definite plans to finish it.

All my current projects are open ended.Sometimes it's not the destination but
    the journey that's important...

Even if I would end a project I would gladly re-open it if another image or two
    came to mind days,months or years later that would fit in with the idea.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was also thinking about projects recently and pondered starting a thread to get other thoughts! Nice to see I'm not the only one... I currently don't work in projects, but I think about it a lot. I think I need one, but then I can never really come up with something that really grabs me, that would inspire me to work. But since I volunteer at a local photography gallery sitting each Saturday, I see so many shows and most of them are project based, I keep thinking that I need to find focus for myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oriecat
    . . . I think I need one, but then I can never really come up with something that really grabs me . . .
    Suggestions: something you really, really love; something you hate; some aspect of local culture, perhaps elements of it that are vanishing; historical contrasts around Portland; just to name a few.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only do 'projects' - it is only the drive to do them that makes me take pictures. I'm not interested in photography as an end in itself, it just happens to be the most appropriate way for most of my ideas to be materialised. I treat each new project as a new start: deciding on colour or B&W, the right format, camera, film, approach, way of working, look, what feels right, all that stuff. It may mean that I need to learn a new technique to get things 'just right', and it usually takes time to really hit it. Not at all in line with analogue purity. Very much like making movies.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    All,

I am also working on a long term project to photograph the Murray River in Australia (from source to outlet).
    I would like to hear your thoughts...
    During one of my sojourns in a foreign place, the only entertainment in the evening was my short-wave radio. Unfortunately the only stations I could pick up were the BBC and Radio Australia. I say unfortunately because some world cricket championship was going on at the time. I cannot describe to you how bored one has to be to listen to cricket on the radio.

Radio Australia would occasionally break up the cricket games with a program called, I think, "Along the Mighty Murray". Fascinating stories of the history and culture of various spots along the river. Well, they seemed fascinating at the time - compared to the cricket at least.

I've been to Australia a few times since, but never managed to see the river. One day I will. Your project sounds like a lot of fun. My only continuing project is to take the definitive picture of my dogs. Almost made it a couple of times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Normally I just grab a camera some extra film and walk,pedal,drive with a clear destination or aimlessly and shoot what catches my eye(s). I do have one project on the go (and yes it IS a project with the end time is measured in years). It's a flashy birch tree posing infront of a crowd of Red Pines.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka
    ... Subject, plan, deadline for completion all are requirements for a project. Open ended projects are not projects.
    ... It isn't a project unless you have definite plans to finish it.
    Oh. Well, whatever it is ... is there another name for everything but the "deadline for completion" or "definite plans to finish it"...?
    I do that too.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    I think that making projects for oneself is a great way to keep everything fresh, interesting and exciting. Trying different formats can do that as well as trying things that you can't necessarily do with everyday people but really need a model for.

All these "projects" can force us to do things that we otherwise may get too lazy to do.

Michael
    I think you have got it right there. For me a project includes, not only the aspect of photography, but also the research. For example, on my Murray River project, I've done research on the river itself, the towns and country around it. I've also driven most of the river. BTW, this is the 6th (?) longest river in the world.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin