Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,588   Online: 885

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Project based Photography

All,

I was reading an introduction by a new member today, and it got me thinking about photography projects. I was wondering how many here use projects to keep their photography on track or just like to take pictures as they come?

As for me, I have a couple of short and long term projects that I am working on. My newest project is to photograph the Ka Iwi coast (near Sandy Beach for those who know Oahu) - I bought a book of photos on this area. I am also working on a long term project to photograph the Murray River in Australia (from source to outlet). Of course, I also photograph on the fly; I spend a lot of time at the Kaena Point area.

I would like to hear your thoughts...
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I do both, however, i tend to work along more project lines. I have several that have been around for years, always adding more images.

Also use a variety of formats, depending on the project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert I'm another that has continuing projects, whilst adding new projects when I find something I enjoy and want to explore. However if I see something that "catches my eye" then it gets shot and added to my collection as well.

As someone who does photography for a living, and has for 30 years it is not too hard to imagine that we can easily get into a rut.

I think that making projects for oneself is a great way to keep everything fresh, interesting and exciting. Trying different formats can do that as well as trying things that you can't necessarily do with everyday people but really need a model for.

All these "projects" can force us to do things that we otherwise may get too lazy to do.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like "projects", too. I think they can keep one's mental bellows from buffeting in the winds of life. For example, I have a long-term project of shooting all of the California missions. I'll probably never finish it to my satisfaction, but I work at it over time. I also like shorter-term projects, like "tools" or "technology" to add some variation to the usual stuff.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes and no. I have a long-standing mental "Projects" file, from an "essay" of Doorknobs, to a Maxwell House coffee can - pinhole camera ... But then ... any given stimulus can develop into a "project" nearly instantaneously...

I have been known to just "Load the camera - and DO something..."
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like projects, and keep thinking up new ones.

But the only ones I seem to follow through on are the "new toy" ones: New lens, new camera, new film, new developer - or just about anything else new.

Gets to be expensive in the long run...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't really have enough free time to pursue projects on a concerted effort; and they can be too mental anyway. They may only be guides as part of a unifying whole - what excites me, photographically speaking. Like Ed Weston with his peppers, I usually discover a subject that I continually return to until I've visually said my viewpoint - created an image that conveys my interest (eg, I've returned to same piece of driftwood for over 3 years now). The subject somehow fits into my overall interest or visual passion. A project may almost be an after-the-fact spur to complete a body of work (as for a book).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=roteague]All,
    I was reading an introduction by a new member today, and it got me thinking about photography projects. I was wondering how many here use projects to keep their photography on track or just like to take pictures as they come?Quote

I think projects are a good idea as they enable you to study and explore a subject in depth and build up a body of work. Admirable examples of this are the series by Francesco and Jorge.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do both... my on going series of the Quabbin Reservoir, different still life series. And I am not adverse to just taking an interesting photo when it presents itself.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin