Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,006   Online: 946

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's people's own insecurities and its sad. One time I was fortunate enough to have a photo of mine included in an online article a year or so ago showing 10 "excellent" examples from a certain type of camera. Most of the comments to the article were: "These are not so good, you can see mine at www.myphotosareyaddayadda.com....". People sometimes need to critic others to feel better about themselves. It's a well-known and common affliction. Luckily I could not give a crap about what people think about my work. I do it to please myself and no others. I love doing it, I have fun, I like my results (sometimes). If people like it too, sure, I'm thrilled and I like that. If they do not so be it. Fortunately it's the ones with taste who like my work. ;-)

I'm always tellig people: "Actually my photos are much better than they look..." :-)
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 04-27-2012 at 03:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    People throw images at our faces, so why can not one throw words back? Putting images out there to be seen is a form of communication -- and once communication has started, why does one party get to determine the course of the communication?

If one is willing to accept positive comments, one should also be willing to take negative comments. People making comments should also be willing to accepts critiques of their comments.

But due to the need of politeness and brevity on this forum, I can see restricting critiques of posted work here, unless critiques are invited/requested by the poster. Without the permission to freely critique, people just have to realize that all the positive statements about one's work are nice ego-strokes, but should not be taken as true critiques...and that the work may not be free of glaring problems.

Vaughn

In the event that I request critique, I fully accept the negative, and the positive, and use each to better my skill.

In the event I post a for sale ad, all I ask is that you say "yes I'll take said item" or "no I don't want said item."

That is all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel that people have lost a lot of manners and sensibility these days. Its best not to let these comments/critiques linger in your mind, and take them in stride.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ask 'em for their c.v. Recently got something similar on pro bono headshots done in a friend's studio. I politely endured one of the model's boyfriend's loud, ongoing, and baffling analysis of the lighting--one of the downsides of shooting tethered. Should have stuck to just film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A baseball pitcher must be ready to deal with whatever comes at him. Otherwise, he compromises the game. The only thing that really counts is numbers. Keep playing until the numbers are in your favor. Don't listen to radio critique. All "opinions" suck. They really do.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Critique should always be made in respect to the photographer and put in perspective. It is the easiest thing in the world to hold up an image and criticize it. It is another thing entirely too actually take the picture. The person looking at that picture does not know what was too left, right, above, below and many other factors about the environment in which that picture was taken.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    In the event that I request critique, I fully accept the negative, and the positive, and use each to better my skill.

In the event I post a for sale ad, all I ask is that you say "yes I'll take said item" or "no I don't want said item."

That is all.
    But my whole point is that if one publicly tosses an image in front of people, such as one might in an ad, one does not have the right to "ask" for any specific response. Just because on starts a "conversation", one does not have the power nor right to direct the conversation. One does have the power to accept, ignore or otherwise react to the comments in any manner one wishes. And if one is having a bad day, then ranting about it can help, I suppose.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    But my whole point is that if one publicly tosses an image in front of people, such as one might in an ad, one does not have the right to "ask" for any specific response. Just because on starts a "conversation", one does not have the power nor right to direct the conversation. One does have the power to accept, ignore or otherwise react to the comments in any manner one wishes. And if one is having a bad day, then ranting about it can help, I suppose.

I guess I see your point. I can no more control other drivers on the freeway... I suppose this is just the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    * off-topic *

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OK, critiquing a for sale ad photo is absurd. But that aside, I welcome critiques of my photographs, whether asked for or not. I always learn something from them, whether I agree with the comments or not. For instance, awhile back someone commented on a photograph I posted here. I did not agree with the comment and thought his suggestion was a cliche and worn approach. It reaffirmed my more imaginative solution. Critiques make me think harder about my work, which helps my next pictures get better.

Last weekend I was looking at an exhibit of Baldwin Lee's photographs at the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, Virginia. Over my shoulder I heard a woman comment positively on a picture, then say that she just didn't like photography. I wanted so badly to engage her in a conversation about her opinion, but I waited a second too long and she left the exhibit room. I probably would not have agreed with her views on photography, but I am sure I would have learned something. Now I will never know what it was.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin