Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,589   Online: 899

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just my opinion, but I think everyone, OP included, is reading too much into this. Sounds more like some troll just trying to get a rise out of you. Some people have no lives, so of course, they want a piece of yours. If you continue to let him get under your skin, then he gets what he wants.......
    Get out and shoot!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Sounds more like some troll just trying to get a rise out of you.

That's a very good point. It's so sad and I see it everywhere these days. People doing and saying things just because they can. People having no regards to anyone else and doing things for their enjoyment - no matter how bad that would make the life of someone else.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Just my opinion, but I think everyone, OP included, is reading too much into this. Sounds more like some troll just trying to get a rise out of you. Some people have no lives, so of course, they want a piece of yours. If you continue to let him get under your skin, then he gets what he wants.......
    Perhaps.

But what if you were enjoying your afternoon, and someone walked up to you and said that the shirt you were wearing made you look <fat, effeminate, ridiculous, insert adjective of choice...>? Now you didn't ask for input on your clothes, but by being out in public are you then subject to taking it?

In the moment, and following few minutes, yes he did get under my skin. And I realize that he is probably some troll running around with the "in" crowd with their Canon Something "d" mark something's, and regirgitating something someone probably once told him with absolutely NO clue what he's saying... But what about any of that makes it ok?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frankly, I wouldn't give a crap what someone thought of my shirt... or my panties... unless she was turned off by them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure where this conversation is going but I think one thing is for sure.... If someone wants to run his/her mouth and criticize something or everything, there is nothing anyone can do about it. People used to hold value in being nice to others as an important part of being a good citizen. Today, it's all about rights. Rights to say whatever as he/she pleases being one of them.

"Don't say anything if you can't say something nice" isn't true anymore. Having an opinion and taking side is.

I don't like what I see and hear but that's my observation.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never said it was ok, or wouldn't initially tick me off, but I've learned over the years to let the "clueless" comments run off my back. After being call a "baby-killer" in the '70's for serving my country, I figured out that you can either take things like that to heart, and drive yourself nuts, or decide if you really give a crap what they think, and get on with life.
    Get out and shoot!!!

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    But what if you were enjoying your afternoon, and someone walked up to you and said that the shirt you were wearing made you look <fat, effeminate, ridiculous, insert adjective of choice...>? Now you didn't ask for input on your clothes, but by being out in public are you then subject to taking it?
    ...and now you know how women feel .

Coincidentally, that was the exact thing I said to my wife just last Sunday night, after returning from a relaxing weekend of kayaking on the Kern River. A comment waiting approval greeted me on one of my YouTube videos, Fine Art Print Presentation. It was a profanity laced diatribe describing nothing but homosexual acts. It took my wife awhile to convince me not to approve it for all to see. I just have nothing to fear from this kind of thing directly and feel it should be made public, as a service to the poster. But it did make me angry and the ironic thing about this kind of unprovoked attack is that the poster can't appreciate that restraint isn't normally my strong suit.

If you follow the above link to my video, take a look at the only other "critical" comment from devonmale69, and my response, which again I was advised not to approve. But I felt in this case my response took on much more weight than the provocatively unwarranted criticism itself. My reasons for posting the video were, and still remain, purely altruistic. It isn't perfect, and there are a few things I would change if remaking it, not the least of which would be adding narration. While certainly no viral video, it exists happily enough as is, to be viewed by nearly 10,000 people in less than a year and a half. My comment in response to devonmale69 has 8 thumbs up, by itself!

Even posting the video here, I was stunned by dismissive criticism by at least one commercial workshop provider, who's toes I had unwittingly stepped on, by beating him to a concept video, as he was ramping up a new presentation area of his business. Naively, I had posted it without seeking or expecting criticism. I had to be satisfied by the realization of how small this person must be to reject my efforts in such an obvious and cavalier manner.

Here are my unsolicited observations:

1. The great thing about the internet is that you can reach everyone, anywhere in the world.
    2. The bad thing about the internet is that you can reach everyone, anywhere in the world.
    3. No good deed goes unpunished.
    4. Grow a pair.

Last edited by blansky; 04-27-2012 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends at least slightly on the critique - I expect Christopher would have been fine with something like "what size are the backgrounds, I cannot tell from the photographs".

And of course a critique can go way past being just critical, it can be harsh and judgmental and just plain rude. Those are the most suitable for ignoring, even if it isn't easy to do so.

In the middle, a critique can be a weird way of expressing appreciation.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Today, some of us are so used to having opinions about everything and being able to express it without facing any consequences, especially on Internet. I wouldn't be surprised if that behavior bleeds into ones everyday real life.

[Underline added by Ken]
    Deeply meaningful observation. But beyond the immediate topic of this thread, so no further comment...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin