Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,397   Online: 1183

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Unsolicited Critique

What is it about photographers looking at the work of others, that makes them think that they need to critique a photograph even when it isn't asked for?

We've closed our studio, and used a previous photo as an example of a background that is for sale, in an ad.. Someone actually critiqued it. A for sale ad.

Does it make you feel better about yourself, or like you know more than someone else? Do you think that your opinion is just that important? Or did you buy your masters certificate with your entry level camera?

Why do people feel the need to do this?

Am I just having a bad day?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chris... Yes, you're having a bad day... as we all do. I'm sorry to read about your studio closing. Hey... at least you had a studio... which is more than what most folks here can say. Buck up and try again maybe??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My closing the studio was a personal choice, its a good thing. I'm trying to move to Houston to be closer to my family. I'll have another one some day, I'm sure of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's just a nature of photographers (of all levels) to critically view all photographs, including our own and others, to see if there are any improvements to be made.

Common courtesy should tell individuals, sometimes it is the best to keep those ideas and opinions to themselves. But, that doesn't stop some people. Today, some of us are so used to having opinions about everything and being able to express it without facing any consequences, especially on Internet. I wouldn't be surprised if that behavior bleeds into ones everyday real life.

I'd just ignore it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I actually agree with you except perhaps your critique of your day. A lot of people who share or display work aren't interested in if someone doesn't get it or think it is good. Myself generally included. People share or display work that they have already found successful for themselves and are only interested in if someone can see what it is that is successful.
    I think there are quite a lot of people who think that good can be definitely defined so that we can all aspire to the same correctness. To me that is the same as to say they aspire to the cliche'. They aspire to do acceptable cliches. The same person who wants to be taught composition and thinks that there is right composition and wrong composition. This type of person is still valid and camera clubs are full of them and they enjoy the giving and receiving of critique. However some of those people don't understand that some of us are not like that. On occasion I will ask what others think but for the most part if you don't get my work or like it, it is your problem and I would rather not hear about it.,

Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep trying...

March forward...

Don't give up...

Don't give in...

Listen but don't be hurt...

Keep going...

Or lay down and give up...

It's up to you!!

I allowed myself to be controlled and gave up...

I have nothing to show for the last 30+ years...

Where will you be in 30 years??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Problems in photos stand out to me, because I have to notice such things in my own photos. I've also been involved in photo editor and layout tasks in print media in a former age. Now I either keep the thoughts to myself or tell me wife if we're looking at something together. She's picked up a lot through such discussion and can take great photos now. It'd be rude to complain to other people about their photo unless they've asked for it or are getting paid by me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any photo can be picked a part, because a photograph is never "perfect" for "everyone".

And if it was then it "is too perfect and boring"

Critique should be kept to the correct forums, but not everyone seem to get that, maybe lack of social skills, envy perhaps?
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    People throw images at our faces, so why can not one throw words back? Putting images out there to be seen is a form of communication -- and once communication has started, why does one party get to determine the course of the communication?

If one is willing to accept positive comments, one should also be willing to take negative comments. People making comments should also be willing to accepts critiques of their comments.

But due to the need of politeness and brevity on this forum, I can see restricting critiques of posted work here, unless critiques are invited/requested by the poster. Without the permission to freely critique, people just have to realize that all the positive statements about one's work are nice ego-strokes, but should not be taken as true critiques...and that the work may not be free of glaring problems.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank gawd I no longer have an ego. My ex-wife destroyed that a long time ago.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin