Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,091   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

went to the park the other day..

On Saturday I went down to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens for the ending of cherry blossom season events. I took along the RB with a 65 and 127 lens and a Stereo Realist.
    I had at least 3 positive conversations about the RB .They usually started with" my God that's a big camera". then we talked about film in general etc . I must have spoken to one fellow with an F series for at least 15 min, on what kind of film, where do you get it processed ,and so on. They just sort of stared at the Realist. Then while I was wandering around I heard some geek in back of me say" oh he thinks he's a professional photographer with that camera". After overcoming the impulse to part her head with the RB(just joking) I spent a little time thinking about about that remark and came to the conclusion that it was a bunch of baloney. Other people had MUCH more sophisticated cameras than mine at the event. Her reasoning was if it's big it's a professional camera and so the guy using it is on some kind of an ego trip.
    I certainly never presented myself as a pro-though I did sell some slides of a GTO to the owner. I just enjoy the camera, and the images it produces, and most people get a kick out of seeing it. Anything else is a bonus.
    The day actually ended on a high note-- I asked a women if I could photography her dogs and not only got the dogs, but she wanted one of herself with the dogs and digiprints sent to her. maybe there is a career path here after all--Pooch Pics LLC ?

R Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I saw you there on Saturday as I was entering through the Osbourne Garden. Did your RB have a giant funnel-shaped magnifying hood?

I came into the event expecting to see at least some people shooting film (I myself was using a Konica Autoreflex T3--maybe you noticed me?). I did end up spotting a guy with a Fuji GS645 (I had also encountered him exactly a week earlier with a Hasselblad XPan at Coney Island) and a young lady with a Pentacon 6. Saw quite a few Lomos, Dianas and Holgas too.

A shame about the trees being post-bloom this year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R Paul View Post
    ...maybe there is a career path here after all--Pooch Pics LLC ?

R Paul

Pet photography is a very niche market. If you can corner the niche, you can make a LOT of money. But beware, every cat crazed person with a camera is a 'professional pet photographer'.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Pet photography is a very niche market. If you can corner the niche, you can make a LOT of money. But beware, every cat crazed person with a camera is a 'professional pet photographer'.
    I wouldn't shoot cats.

Not with cameras, anyway.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    I wouldn't shoot cats.

Then you'd like this bit of tasteful, discrete advertising:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATS-FLATTEN...sories&vxp=mtr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ... Then while I was wandering around I heard some geek in back of me say" oh he thinks he's a professional photographer with that camera".
    Snappy answers to stupid comments: "Oh, she thinks she's a professional commentator with that mouth!"
    A better answer: "Yeah, it's how I made $250,000 in a single month! You could too, if you used film!"
    There's some good Churchill repartee for swapping snide remarks.

The day actually ended on a high note-- I asked a women if I could photography her dogs and not only got the dogs, but she wanted one of herself with the dogs and digiprints sent to her. maybe there is a career path here after all--Pooch Pics LLC ?
    Time for research and a business plan! Corner a niche that can't be cornered with a digital camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Snappy answers to stupid comments: "Oh, she thinks she's a professional commentator with that mouth!"
    A better answer: "Yeah, it's how I made $250,000 in a single month! You could too, if you used film!"
    This would more than likely be my approach.
    It wouldn't take much to level someone like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post

I wish I had the patience to think that way. My first reaction is always to spin around in a confrontational manner. I so cannot play the part of the duck....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    I wouldn't shoot cats.

Gave me a chuckle, but not something i'd put on my own car.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then while I was wandering around I heard some geek in back of me say" oh he thinks he's a professional photographer with that camera".

My theory -- she's too used to issuing snarky pronunciations in various chatrooms to realize that maybe she needs to filter herself out there in the real world. Could be a bit of envy too? I say, good on you for lugging that fella around with you! Maybe you're not a professional, but you're a serious photog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin