Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,046   Online: 786

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone else run into this?

On a few occasions now when I've been talking to friends about cameras and hand them my whatever-it-happens-to-be-film-camera-of-the-week, more often than not the first thing they do when they get it into their hands is wind on the shutter, or try to open the back. I've always been able to stop them with a "don't, there's film in it", but it strikes me as an odd thing to do when handed a camera that isn't yours. These are usually folks in their 30's and 40's who have, or have had, experience with film cameras. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a change in mentality stemming from digital cameras where unwanted accidental pictures can just be erased?
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always ask the same question when somebody hands me a camera as I ask when somebody hands me a gun.

Is it loaded?

Then, regardless of the answer, you should treat it as if it is loaded until you, yourself, have verified otherwise.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done it myself. My neighbor gave me an old Kodak folding camera. The first thing I did was to wind it and open the back. Only to find there was a film in it. Granted, it was no loss as it's been stored in HOT Florida attic for decades....

It's just a common reaction to want to twist knobs and push buttons.... People aren't used to film cameras anymore, either - regardless of their age groups. Only thing you can do is either not hand someone a loaded camera or say "don't do anything, film is loaded" before handing it over.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I always ask the same question when somebody hands me a camera as I ask when somebody hands me a gun.

Is it loaded?

Then, regardless of the answer, you should treat it as if it is loaded until you, yourself, have verified otherwise.
    Good answer! I would look at it, but never consider actuelly moving anything unless given permission. Of course you can open the chamber of a gun to look and the light won't hurt anything.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't usually offer to hand over my camera.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    i always open cameras whenpeople give them to me, whether they are full of film or not.
    i LOVE pointing the opencamera to a light and clicking the shutter to see the blink.
    when i go to a photo store that has film and paper, i always open the boxes and sleeves of paper
    boxes of film ( and those annoying foil packets ) and sometimes pull some of the 35mm out of the cartridge.
    to make sure the film and paper are in there, before i buy it, i don't want to get ripped off.
    the guys that sell film and paper on ebay who have it all spread out, i am happy for that
    because i always ask them to take a nice photograph of the film and paper before i buy it
    sometimes i ask them to scan it to make sure it isn't all used up ... i don't want USED...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
    On a few occasions now when I've been talking to friends about cameras and hand them my whatever-it-happens-to-be-film-camera-of-the-week, more often than not the first thing they do when they get it into their hands is wind on the shutter, or try to open the back. I've always been able to stop them with a "don't, there's film in it", but it strikes me as an odd thing to do when handed a camera that isn't yours. These are usually folks in their 30's and 40's who have, or have had, experience with film cameras. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a change in mentality stemming from digital cameras where unwanted accidental pictures can just be erased?
    Yes, I have had that happen a couple times. I don't understand it. Simple civility should dictate that you don't fiddle with something that doesn't belong to you.

Edit - As for guns, there are only a few who know I own them, and if I hand someone a gun it is with the action open - because I just checked that it is not loaded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My assumption is that the camera is not loaded -- and that the person handing me the camera would expect me to fiddle with it -- put it up to my eye; play with the focus; wind and fire. (I don't go opening the back, though -- that holds no interest.) If they didn't want me to fiddle with it, they shouldn't be handing it to me in the first place. I realize that's pretty obnoxious of me, and I'm generally more considerate than that, but with cameras my curiosity gets the better of me.

ALL THE TIME.

Sometimes I'm with a group of people and I introduce my wife, they immediately take off her clothes and fondle her and other things and I think to myself, "that is kinda rude".

I guess I'm funny that way.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    My assumption is that the camera is not loaded -- and that the person handing me the camera would expect me to fiddle with it -- put it up to my eye; play with the focus; wind and fire. (I don't go opening the back, though -- that holds no interest.) If they didn't want me to fiddle with it, they shouldn't be handing it to me in the first place. I realize that's pretty obnoxious of me, and I'm generally more considerate than that, but with cameras my curiosity gets the better of me.
    Did it ever occur to you to ask permission?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin