Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,573   Online: 979

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dear Photograph

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    grandfather dies, father dies, son dies

As long as it is the order, there is no reason to be too sad.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Gim

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Reading Zen? Under ordinary circumstances, true.

Edit. Under most all circumstances, true.
    Last edited by Gim; 05-16-2012 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Zen beer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gim View Post
    Reading Zen?...
    One of my favorite Zen stories. And as both of my parents turn 90 this summer, something I keep in mind.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Link to the Zen story? Sounds like something definitely worth checking out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Great story

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Heard the story many years ago. Death is inevitable. Embrace it so you won't fear living.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    Link to the Zen story? Sounds like something definitely worth checking out
    it is a very short story...I have heard several versions, but here is the basic story:

A rich man asked a Zen master to write something down that could encourage the prosperity of his family for years to come. It would be something that the family could cherish for generations. On a large piece of paper, the master wrote, "Father dies, son dies, grandson dies."

The rich man became angry when he saw the master's work. "I asked you to write something down that could bring happiness and prosperity to my family. Why do you give me something depressing like this?"

"If your son should die before you," the master answered, "this would bring unbearable grief to your family. If your grandson should die before your son, this also would bring great sorrow. If your family, generation after generation, disappears in the order I have described, it will be the natural course of life. This is true happiness and prosperity."

I probably read in a collect of stories I have in the book:

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones: A Collection of Zen and Pre-Zen Writings, By Paul Reps, Nyogen Senzaki
    Last edited by Vaughn; 05-17-2012 at 01:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin