Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,411   Online: 960

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Portrait photographers have been flipping negative almost as long as photography has existed, because clients are used to seeing a mirror image of themselves and they are more acceptable to them, and not reality.
    I once read about a portrait photographer who would produce the proofs as mirror images for the customer to choose one then print the actual image the right way round.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for feedback, now I see that this is a common thing to do .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go ahead and print your pictures the way you think looks best. Just be on the lookout for reversed text and similar things. I have seen pictures where text is reversed but 90% of the people still don't notice.

The only possible drawback is that the base side of the film will be toward the paper instead of the emulsion side. You might see a slight loss of sharpness because of that.
    Even then, 99% of the people would never notice.

For reference, film projectors in movie theaters operate with the base side toward the screen.
    This is because most release prints of movies are made by contact printing film on film.
    Not only does the great majority of people not notice the difference, most of them think that's the way things should be.

Since a photo enlarger is just a projector, I propose the same applies to photography.
    If you can flip the film in a movie projector without anybody noticing, you can flip the film in an enlarger and nobody will notice.
    You would probably need to magnify the image to extreme sizes to notice the difference.

I only bring this up so you are aware of it but, even if you do notice a difference, chances are that you would be the only one who does.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Worker 11811. It is efke 25 film, and I don't print larger than 30x40 cm - so no problem there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And btw - here is the scan of the negative:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art...in-1-303691067

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Every carbon print I make is "flipped" -- I use a single transfer method and this flips the image. I usually compose with this in mind.

I can see why you want to flip yours -- nice active image!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Normally it would be OK to do whatever, it's your picture, you are its sole owner and master. If there is something you can be sure to be able to rule upon on your life, it's your pictures.

For photojournalism that would already be a wrong practice. But I suppose this was not a photojournalistic image.

If the picture is made for the "consumption" of people attending the event (a marriage?) and local to your church, then flipping the image might cause a sense of "innatural" because you also flip the architectural features - bell tower to the left coming from the bridge, instead of to the right - and the orientation - sun coming from the opposite direction it normally comes.

If the boy had been framed on its own, no problem. Framed as it is, if you hang it to your wall everybody seeing it will tell you that the sides are reversed...
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Framed as it is, if you hang it to your wall everybody seeing it will tell you that the sides are reversed...
    I'd bet most won't notice. Or they might realize something is different but not be able to figure it out 'cause they wouldn't be thinking of that. Good way to test how observant your friends are. Go for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I'd bet most won't notice. Or they might realize something is different but not be able to figure it out 'cause they wouldn't be thinking of that. Good way to test how observant your friends are. Go for it.
    I will go for it . I was there with 2 friends (not photographers). And this photo I made just for me, not for commercial use, event or anything like that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only if the kid has bilateral symmetry.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin