Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,926   Posts: 1,556,806   Online: 935

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just corrected that -- we are safe...for now.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Actually instead of flopping the negative, try turning the enlarger inside out. That way the image goes in the other direction but without all the other problems.
    An inverted imaging tool does not equal a mirrored image. Sorry, but your theory does not qualify as there is no longer balance. You're actually flirting with anti-matter to appear, black holes and what-not, and believe me you're not doing anybody any favors.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    On the subject of flipping, if I take a picture with some human action across the frame, it generally looks correct with more space on the right. As I live in the Western Hemisphere, I take it this is influenced by the fact that I read text left to right? If I was from an Eastern Country where text is read right to left, would such a picture seem to have a better composition when flipped?
    (Blanksy - note flipped not flopped)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flopped_image
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    A flopped image is a static or moving image that is generated by a mirror-reversal of an original across a vertical axis (as opposed to flipping across the horizontal axis). Flopping can be used to improve the subjective aesthetic appeal of the image in question.

Blansky, yes, but the OP was about flipping in a horizontal axis.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Short answer, yes.
    With the negative in the carrier reversed, at the scanning stage, the image will be displayed in its correct orientation in preview. At least that is in my wide experience! There is no harm in taking a different view of an image and sometimes it can have its own special appeal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    technically i see no problem with it,and anyway, it's your negative, so, you can do what you like or prefer with it!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    It sees to me that the OP was about flipping around a vertical axis (i.e. flopping). Wouldn't flipping around an horizontal axis put the boy's feet up and the church at the bottom of the picture? Or am I missing something?

Fabrizio

PS The flopping voice of Wikipedia is interesting but the taboo in certain countries about eating with the left hand has nothing to do with religion (Muslim or otherwise). You shouldn't eat with your left hand because it is the "impure" hand. I let you the guessing exercise about why it is "impure"
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

A flopped image is a static or moving image that is generated by a mirror-reversal of an original across a vertical axis (as opposed to flipping across the horizontal axis). Flopping can be used to improve the subjective aesthetic appeal of the image in question.

Through the years we've always called putting the negative in emulsion side up as flopping the neg. After reading the Wikipedia article I'm not sure what the difference is. When you put the neg in emulsion side up you get a mirror image. They talk about a car being a reversal of left hand vs right hand drive which is what you get when you flop or insert the neg emulsion up.

The OP put the neg in emulsion up which is what we called flopping. In fact I've never heard of flipping.

One of the smart people can maybe explain it.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    im not sure what the difference is,
    maybe david knows?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would have called it flipping if I hadn't read this, unless someone else called it flopping then I'd know what they meant to. Bottom line is that reversing about a horizontal axis simply results in an image that is upside down - maybe fine for some abstracts but you can also just turn the print that way if you want. Either flipping or flopping or reversing or mirror imaging or...whatever, turns into a quibble over semantics when everyone already knows darned well what you mean.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 05-23-2012 at 09:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin