Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 763

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wait a minute. When I shoot large format, the image is inverted on the ground glass. If I flop the negative, it will print the way I saw the image when composing the shot. If I want to keep the universe in order, shouldn't I flop all negatives?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Actually with LF the image isn't inverted as a mirror image it is merely upside down. It is a psychological action to imagine the top at the bottom and to keep the left on the left so that in your mind you invert the image. It can be counteracted with a glass of scotch or brandy, which I have just had.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes. The same with scanning. Some scanner manufacturers ask you to keep the emulsion side down, but it really doesn't matter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    In fact I've never heard of flipping.
    I've never heard of flopping before I read this thread (that is in the context of photography). I have heard of people flopping out on the settee, but then I'm British.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flopping is done with the index finger. Flipping is done with the middle finger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    On the subject of flipping, if I take a picture with some human action across the frame, it generally looks correct with more space on the right. As I live in the Western Hemisphere, I take it this is influenced by the fact that I read text left to right? If I was from an Eastern Country where text is read right to left, would such a picture seem to have a better composition when flipped?
    (Blanksy - note flipped not flopped)
    But in Arabic for instance the text goes right-to-left while the numbers go left-to-right. If you are scanning the negative digitally, this could have serious consequences unless you have palindromic processors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Actually instead of flopping the negative, try turning the enlarger inside out. That way the image goes in the other direction but without all the other problems.
    But an inside-out enlarger will have the bulb on the outside, fogging the paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    Wait a minute. When I shoot large format, the image is inverted on the ground glass. If I flop the negative, it will print the way I saw the image when composing the shot. If I want to keep the universe in order, shouldn't I flop all negatives?
    The image is actually rotated. There's a chrono-synclastic infundibulum suspended in the bellows that does it.

We used to call "flipping" the negative when we looked at it and it sucked, so we flipped it into the garbage can.

Flopping was when we wanted the mirror image of a shot.

As for ground glass, we called it upside down and backwards.

Now we just call people who shoot large format backwards.

Unless they fell off a cliff head first lugging the damn thing around, we then call that upside down and backwards.

Hope this helps.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Either flipping or flopping or reversing or mirror imaging or...whatever, turns into a quibble over semantics when everyone already knows darned well what you mean.
    Amen, brother.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin