Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,722   Online: 887

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have no problem with this, as the original still exists.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    For sure, check out Ferguson's video 1....

http://vimeo.com/14912890
    thanks andy
    i've seen that before but forgot about it
    i love the fact he actually has THE MONKEYS in the video ... brilliant !!

thanks
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a supposed sociologist, this guy is in a very bad way indeed.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First of all, the article doesn't mention whether Henner had Frank's permission to use The Americans. I do think it's uncreative to plagiarise, as happened in the ongoing saga of the painter (I won't call Richard Prince an artist!) who copied and modified a photographer's images and overpainted them. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/8...ck-cariou.html

At least Henner's "work" is more intelligently thought out and realised that Prince's - which imo amounts to childish doodles. I also think the "work" in both these cases amount to steaming piles of postmodermist extruded male bovine excrement.

Just my 2d - YMMV.

Cheers,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 05-24-2012 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a 2nd year art school project.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok, I jumped too quickly. I can see some value in his work. My main issue is that I have yet to find his artist statement explaining this work or am I missing something. If I found this I might appreciate it more.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Puccini used three Chinese traditional melodies in his Turandot opera. What makes a difference, is that he wrote "Turandot" around them.
    Since ever composers take some other composer's theme to work upon. Famous cases:
    Prokoviev: Rhapsody over a theme by Paganini (also known as Variations over a theme by Paganini);
    Beethoven: Variations on a valzer di Diabelli (also known as Diabelli Variations);
    Richard Strauss: Metamorphosen (which are variations over a theme of the Eroica symphony by Beethoven);
    Mozart: Variations on the theme Je vous salue maman;
    and very many others.
    That is a creative effort, and it is art.

When you are in the conservatory, you are given a theme and you are asked to write a fugue on it as an exercise. Nothing to do with taking somebody else's photograph and applying some patches here and there.
    In photography school nobody is given the assignement to "patch" somebody else's photograph because it is an exercise which has no merit and no sense. No creation whatsoever.

I bet Mozart and the others would be VERY pissed off if their work were compared to the "work" quoted by the OP.

You recognize shit because it looks like shit and smells like shit. Don't overthink about it or you might end up confusing it with ice cream Just trust your common sense.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    My main issue is that I have yet to find his artist statement explaining this work or am I missing something.
    Artist statements aren't required, they ae an option. They have value when the artist wants the world to think somthing specific. They are detrimental when the artist wants to leave that question open.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    In photography school nobody is given the assignement to "patch" somebody else's photograph because it is an exercise which has no merit and no sense. No creation whatsoever.
    IMO, you are looking at the issue as a photographer, not an artist. You are viewing the photo as the end result.

But they aren't always the end. Photos are regularly used as raw materials in other artistic processes.

Training in patching and manipulation is the essence of training in Photoshop, InDesign, and other programs. Before those programs were available people did the same thing with different tools.

Art schools do teach this, a lot.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erasing part of an image is what we did when bored in seventh grade social studies. Removing faces from Time(or whatever rag we were assigned to read)got old quickly even back then.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin