Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,082   Online: 920

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

CErasure ethical? Or creative?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...ess-americains

I'd like to be able to erase some of my life history, but I feel that of others is theirs to keep as they like (unless we're talking Soviet Russia)

The 10m volumes of mainly black pages representing the Solar System has to be a great recent con.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I say creative.

It has been said, I don't know by whom, that painting is an additive art (you put in what you want) and that photography is a subtractive art (you decide what to take/leave out).

Photographers have been using that principle a long, long time.

The very act of framing a shot leaves things out.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's bullshit.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might be okay with that $h!theads concept if he had used his own images. As it stands, I believe he has zero talent and just likes to f__k with other peoples work for a quick buck.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Seems there is a trend in this lately, a few months ago we saw Pavel Maria Smejkal's series where he removed content from famous photographs, my comments re Smejkal wd apply to Henner:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/1...-imagined.html
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I say creative.

It has been said, I don't know by whom, that painting is an additive art (you put in what you want) and that photography is a subtractive art (you decide what to take/leave out).

Photographers have been using that principle a long, long time.

The very act of framing a shot leaves things out.
    You could argue that there is nothing on the canvas when the artists begins and nothing on the photographic paper as well. They both place their art on the blank sheet, thereby both are additive. The subtractive part is when the photographer's lens crops out what he wants to take back to his darkroom, the same way the artist crops in his head, what to place in his empty canvas. Most painters paint scenics or portraits and when they stare at the scene before laying down paint, they are subtracting as much as a photographer.

I would say the only person who truly subtracts is a sculptor who removes material to find the art underneath.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He doesn't seem to have the talent and discipline to make his own images, so he manipulates another's and calls the result "original". The dump I took the morning is "original" in the same sense.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yawn ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was fun to do in 6th grade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    You could argue that there is nothing on the canvas when the artists begins and nothing on the photographic paper as well. They both place their art on the blank sheet, thereby both are additive. The subtractive part is when the photographer's lens crops out what he wants to take back to his darkroom, the same way the artist crops in his head, what to place in his empty canvas. Most painters paint scenics or portraits and when they stare at the scene before laying down paint, they are subtracting as much as a photographer.

I would say the only person who truly subtracts is a sculptor who removes material to find the art underneath.
    I don't disagree. In fact I like that idea too.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin