Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,568   Online: 745

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Draw or photograph

I once heard the expression "if you are not prepared to draw it don't photograph it". I think this statement sometimes holds some good advice for photographers, although I don't always adhere to this myself.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whoever said that hadn't seen my drawings!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About all I can draw is blood.

Actually, I can draw manmade objects with reasonable averageness, but not people or nature. I think the effort of doing something by hand makes you consider each part of the image and how you want to show it. Something we sometimes forget while taking a photo and reminded of when we print or view what we forgot.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The ability to draw or paint is not a natural gift, but a skill gained from practice just like photography.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    i am terrible at drawing, it is what kept me from being trained as an architect ...
    but i have forced myself over the years to do it ..
    now whenever i go on a job i do a rendering when i walk around the site
    and i use it as a "map" where i write my descriptions of views taken .. it comes out OK

usually my perspective wanders but with practice i keep it kind of where it is supposed to be ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drawing and photography are radically different ways of making pictures and the pictures that result are not equivalent or interchangeable. The short explanation is mildly abstract. Please forgive.

Drawing belongs to a class of picture production methods in which a mark-making "device" is directed by a set of coded instructions to lay down a bunch of marks on a substrate. The bunch of marks is the picture. Practically speaking, the mark-making device is, of course, the artist's hand with a pencil in it and the set of instructions reside in the artist's brain. If the artist has paint and brushes in hand the result is a painting. And if the artist's brain is replaced by an electronic brain and his hand is replaced by an ink-jet printer then the result is a digital picture. Yes, digital picture-making is just a fancy robotic version of good old drawing and painting.

There is another class of imaging methods which do not use mark-making devices or coded instructions filed away in one brain or another. These methods depend on direct physical contact or direct physical sampling between subject and image. Examples include footprints, wax impressions, life casts, death masks, brass rubbings, silicone rubber moulds, coal peels, and photographs.

Drawings and photographs have a fundamentally different relationship to subject matter and offer a different experience to the perceptive viewer. To the non-perceptive viewer "looks like" means "same as" and no mildly abstract thoughts need be entertained.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I once heard the expression "if you are not prepared to draw it don't photograph it". I think this statement sometimes holds some good advice for photographers, although I don't always adhere to this myself.
    Dumb expression.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Oh dear, have you been reading Sontag again? Poor thing.

Cheers.
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I took up photography because my drawing ability was not up to much, I had the concepts but was unable to maintain the correct scale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never heard of this statement before. Its kinda strange in fact, as photography was an aide to drawing, with roots going back to tracings made with camera obscuras and camera lucidas which helped artists get down perspectives and proportions accurately, and then on to using the actual photographs as an aide when making etchings for mass printing.

I'm not a very good drawer, I was never trained or taught how to and never practiced myself. Photography helps me put things down onto a paper or whatever medium so I dont have to draw it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin