Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,531   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    I don't read anything in there that infers one is better than the other.

A painting is a made up representation of a person.

A photograph is much more a definitive likeness.

Most biographies are not books about the facts of a person's life, although there are definitely facts in there. They are more about why he did this and what was he thinking at such and such a time, and pseudo amateur psychologist/authors sort through his life and say shit like, "well because his mother did this to him when he was 3.... then when he was 30 he did that..." and other such stuff.

"his early bed wetting was the reason he later invaded Russia...."

"he had a mommy complex, so in later years he dressed like her while doing the ironing..."

"he became secretary of state because he had a thing for his dads secretary when he was 9...."

" the screen of the iPhone, iPad, and iPod is black because he suffered through bouts of depression"...

That stuff sounds like a painting, not a photograph.
    Finished embarrassing yourself? Try some Robert Caro on LBJ or, better yet, Hilary Mantel's "historical" fiction, "Wolf Hall," on Thomas Cromwell. Stick to photography, mate.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't read anything in there that infers one is better than the other.

A painting is a made up representation of a person.

A photograph is much more a definitive likeness.

Most biographies are not books about the facts of a person's life, although there are definitely facts in there. They are more about why he did this and what was he thinking at such and such a time, and pseudo amateur psychologist/authors sort through his life and say shit like, "well because his mother did this to him when he was 3.... then when he was 30 he did that..." and other such stuff.

"he had a mommy complex, so in later years he dressed like her while doing the ironing..."

"he became secretary of state because he had a thing for his dads secretary when he was 9...."

" the screen of the iPhone, iPad, and iPod is black because he suffered through bouts of depression"...

That stuff sounds like a painting, not a photograph.
    see below
    Last edited by CGW; 05-31-2012 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Duplicate post

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

That stuff sounds like a painting, not a photograph.[/QUOTE]

Duplicate post
    Last edited by CGW; 05-31-2012 at 03:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I'm not your mate.

I've never even met you.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not your mate.

I've never even met you.
    Lucky me. Just keep the tarbrush in the bucket.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post

Steve Jobs film will be a 'painting,' not a photograph

See here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...hotograph.html
    Why would I feel insulted at this? Sorkin is merely using the words 'painting' and 'photograph' as metaphors. Paintings are inexact and embellished likenesses interpreted by a human eye and brain and translated onto media; photographs are more physically exact but perhaps don't incorporate the emotional connotations like paintings. I'm sure you get the drift.

Seriously, there are more things in life to feel insulted about. I feel insulted whenever photographers are killed, persecuted, prosecuted or otherwise hounded for doing their jobs. If you really want to feel insulted about anything, look at what's happening in Syria. That's an insult to the human race. IMNSHO
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-17128337
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18224559

Cheers,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 05-31-2012 at 08:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding more
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    im not offended and have no idea why anyone would be offended.
    nothing is shot on film anymore anyways ..
    should i be offended that it won't be shot on celluloid ?
    personally, i think it would be the best if the filmmaker shot it on an iPhone or an iPad.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Who gives a phuq what he calls it?

However, this thread means I am logging out of here and going to clean my darkroom ready for tomorrow morning, much more productive

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No he's right.

He means that a biography is not a true representation of the person but a crafted mish-mash of facts and myths and representations by other people's memories.

It's like a painter laying down strokes of information to form a likeness of the subject.

All biographies are myths.
    +1

And, I really don't give a shit about Steve Jobs. Just another self serving borderline megalomaniac who disguised his profit motive as some sort of altruistic plan (to get everyone possible buying his crappy products).
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-01-2012 at 09:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Austin View Post
    Who gives a phuq what he calls it?

However, this thread means I am logging out of here and going to clean my darkroom ready for tomorrow morning, much more productive

John
    Ah, the many ways that APUG inspires us.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin